Recommended Books

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, May 30, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Is Gregory's textbook of farriery a good book?
    Any recommended books?
    I'm not looking for a "how to" book, just more of a reference.

Should we have a thread for recommended books-and why it's good?
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I agree with George. Tom Clancy's stuff deteriorated since then and so did WEB Griffin's.
  3. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

I bought Gregory's book about a month ago. I think its pretty good especially the way he handles anatomy. If you want a good book not on Farriery try The Wars of the World, a socio-economic study of the conflicts of the twentieth century.
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Gregory's is a great book.

James Rooney " The Lame Horse" is good, and quite simple to understand ( and cheap ), one of my quick go-to favorites. I guess I'd recommend that for a "probie"

For something heavier, "Adams' Lameness in Horses" by Ted Stashak.

I liked Doug Butlers "Shoeing in Your Right Mind".

"Horse Shoeing and the Horses Foot" by Dollar and Wheatley is a good historical overview. I like to show people the picture on page 260.

If your asking about what we read, since Christmas I've read Gregorys Textbook of Farriery, Doug Butlers "Six Figure Shoeing", Dylan Ratigans "Greedy Bastards", Bruce Bartletts "The Benefit and the Burden", and Mike Williams "Horseshoe Reflections".

Regards
  5. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I'm not aware of any books I would suggest to horse owners. There is no need for a horse owner to know the depth of knowledge as a Farrier just as there's no reason a Farrier should know the indepth knowledge of a vet. Somebody could make a good dollar if they wrote a dumbed down book for horse owners.

The lame horse is a nice dumbed down book for Farriers but probably over the head and to indepth for horse owners.
  6. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

Rick I used to be a bookworm rarely watch tv but lately when not reading a "text" book I love audio books. In the last two weeks I have listened to In the Field 1914-15 By Marcel Dupont, an account of French Light Cavalry and Over the Top by Arthur Empmey an account of trench warfare from a squadie point of view. Both of these I downloaded for free from Librivox.org. They have a pretty good catalogue.
  7. Offline

Steve,
    I listened to the audio book version of "War Horse" this winter. Liked it. It was a gift from my wife, who is an audio book addict. I really like the audio books while I'm traveling.

Regards
  8. Offline

Eric,

So is it fair to say that your position is something like "A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing"?

Regards
  9. Offline

:) Probably better than reading "Lame Horse for Dummies" :D

:) Eric, my first post stated that I am not looking for a "how to" book. There are many books out there, some poor, some good. I could go to Amazon and pick any books they have, even bad ones. That's why I'm looking for a recommended book(s). To avoid purchasing a book with poor information. I own a horse, that's reason enough to want to increase my knowledge in more than a superficial way, and there's alot of anatomy involved, which interests me as well. One can never have the depth of knowledge that a farrier has. That takes hands- on experience on many problems. :)

:) I've ordered The Lame Horse, I can update this discussion after reading it. And be upfront about what I think. There is no need to know, just an interest. :)
    :) I think you make a good point here, what's the point in a forum if everyone agrees? :)
    :) :) :) :)
  10. Offline

Whats the point of reading a book that you won't understand? If you don't know anatomy how will you understand the mechanics?
  11. Offline

Anatomy is not hard. But my reason for reading the book is mechanics, and how they relate to lameness, or not lameness.
    I've already had anatomy , physiology, biology, and micro down to why the electrolytes go in and out of a cell, positive and negative charges of atoms, and what that causes are, what about bacteria causes , Kreb's cycle, etc. On people, not horses.. And there's got to be gobs of stuff that horses and people have in common. So it's not so hard to understand biology and physiology of a horse because of the similarities. But alot of difference in how this relates to ligaments, muscles , and bone in a completely different set of anatomy. So the book may not be so hard for me, and it might bring up some interesting topics. :)
  12. Offline

Nope! You just have to face the facts that without a good base of knowledge you won't understand advanced topics.

I had the priveledge of listening to Dr. Rooney years ago, he stated more than once that he could go a much deeper into things but the audience would not understand. I also got to hear Dr. Tomasin (sp?) he also could lose the audience in an instance if he didn't dumb it down.

Karen just stated she knows anatomy , physiology, biology, so she's going to by a physics book when in another thread she shows just how little she knows by asking several question regarding coa that really didn't deserve a response due to how blatantly ignorant they were.
  13. Offline

I haven't gotten over the hollow coffin bone thing yet.
  14. Offline

Hey, let's put up a poll and we can all vote and see how many more think I'm not smart enough to read this friggen book.
  15. Offline

This is all about a book recommendation?

Thankyou George, Steve, and Rick, I appreciate the suggestions.
  16. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

"Shoeing Right" is geared towards horse owners. Decent book.
  17. Offline

Thanks, Travis. I just want something that helps me understand what I read here.
  18. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

I think it's available at Tractor Supply.
  19. Offline

I dunno, Travis. You really think I'll be able to unnerstand all those big words?
  20. Offline