Red Renchin, AFJ

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I rcd. a email from the American Farriers Journal this afternoon with an article written by my friend Red Renchin where he states that he believes that farrier schools should change the method of teaching from making shoes to more under the horse and using premade shoes, along with other thoughts. i have synopsis ed his words but am doing so to get the point across and suggest that folks take a look at the article.

Ray
  2. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I will read the article. You really can buy just about any shoe you need these days BUT I always thought most schools didn't do enough forge work.
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

the way i read the article his thoughts are somewhat different than yours, and than what has been tradition both in Europe and here in that his emphasis seems to be that since most anything can be bought, and usually is, then the application needs more emphasis, that shoe making might be better learned at the next level, or after getting around horses and basic shoeing. He also mentioned the shortage of horses to be worked on at /for shoeing schools and students etc..

Ray
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Do you guys see much lads linishing the shoe into shape instead of fitting?
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

what does your question have to do with the subject in this thread? or are you into hi jacking?

ray
  6. Offline

Why would you need to be able to make shoes when you can grab a machine shoe and linish the fuck out of it to fit a foot
  7. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I read the article and my take on it was the students needed to spend more time under a horse learning how to properly trim and fit a shoe. From what I gather, he was talking about these courses that are 3-4 months or shorter. If you're going to a short course, then more time needed to be spent on proper trim and shoe fit, and getting under horses than forge work. He wasn't cutting the importance of forge work, but if a choice has to be made, then get the basics of proper trim, fit and working around horses more. Forge work can come later.

I made a comment on the site this is why the States needs to get a good apprenticeship program started, then the quality of farriers would improve. But I'll never see it in my life time.
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

have you read the article? or even taken any time to look it up? If you have not read it feel free to look it up ,that s why i posted here ,to discuss the article written by Red Renchin for or with the AFJ about some of his thoughts on farrier schools.
    I don t remember him mentioning anything about grinding on a shoe, or did i miss a sentence and or paragraph?

I f you have not read it, I go back to my original question /s to you.
  9. Offline

Thats a pity mikel
  10. Offline

Smitty, That's the way it is in the States. Some guys complete a 2-3 month farrier school and think they can hang a shingle up and go to work. In a way I'm not much different. I never had any formal school, but I did grow up with horses and shod my own before going to work as a guide/packer, and then helped shoe the horses and mules we had. It wasn't until I came to Europe I found out I was in above my head. Yes, in 20 years of shoeing I've learned a lot. I've put my self through school and worked with others. If I had it to do all over, I'd have done an apprenticeship and learned right. I know I'd be better today because of it.
  11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Mikel,

I would interpret Renchins article to saying some of what you have posted and add that he sees that, that is the way it is, so perhaps schools might want to refocus to at least try to produce a student that can handle the premades. Then if the student continues he or she might work on more forge work, the other read that I took from it was that as an employer he didn t seem to feel that the graduated students came with much help to him....therefore use the time to get better at something. I don t think Red said it was an all out answer, instead he pointed out his observations attempting to promote discussion.

Ray
  12. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Red's complaint about new shoers entering the trade not being proficient is the same as Corporate America's issues with new employees. So it seems the trade schools, the community colleges and the Universities are all dropping the ball or maybe it's just the crabby old guys' continuous complaint that "this next generation ain't worth a shit". We all have a tendency to forget how bad we were when we got started.

I think Socrates was the first to start bitchin'
  13. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I started out with a 3 month education from Oklahoma horseshoeing school and a bwfa cjf. I'm starting to think that a 4-5 year apprenticeship is the way to go.
    I think that in the end it's up to the person. I've seen crap work by highly experienced certified shoers, and beautiful work from newbies.
  14. Offline

Spot on bill an apprenticeship is the only way to go
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

I didn t get from the commentary that anyone was saying that the new/young folks "ain t worth a shyte" as I read it he was posing questions that the schools might want to consider............on another hand is it the schools job to get new farriers ready to be useful to the established farrier community? Come to think of it ,I ve not met many farriers who took on a helper ,weather from a school or who had worked for another farrier that thought the helper was taught correctly, since usually the correct way is the way of the"master", so it is up to the helper/apprentice to learn the way of the person paying him or her!

Bill
    an apprenticeship might be the way to go, but consider this, what if one takes on with a poor master, or what if ,as some have said that in this country,it s too expensive( tax , insurance,liabilityetc.) for an established farrier to take on apprentices /helpers in a legal safe way?

How in this country does one get started if/since no apprenticeships exist?

Renchin is, I believe opening dialogue.

Ray
  16. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Ray, I'm not saying it's easy or that there is an established program. In a sense I apprenticed under myself, by trial and error, working night jobs in winter, hanging out with good Farriers, clinics, and these darn forums have been a huge help.
    My son Eli is a very good Farrier at age 24. He never went to a school or had a formal apprenticeship, but he's worked in the big barns around L.A., done the clinics and conventions, and picked up a few tricks since he shod his first horse at age 11.
  17. Offline

But yet he did go to school, since he was 11. In a sense he has been doing an apprenticeship. This is a little different than the twenty year old guy who goes to the six month farrier school, then hangs out the shingle. An apprenticeship is time and experience on the job. And yes Ray, every farrier is different and has a different way to work. The new guy needs to learn that way, plus more to be successful.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Mikel,

how do you make the new guy successful/more successful, when he/she is just trying to be a new guy, you know that in the states there is only a limited # of apprentice ships, for that matter , in Europe also.

A couple of years ago, there was a member of this forum soliciting an Irish farrier for an apprenticeship, I took it because the want to be apprentice could not get an apprenticeship via more conventional methods. They are limited.

The schools, for good or bad have provided an introduction to the world of farriery,this is said not defending or degrading the schools, apprenticeship programs or any other network.

Reds thoughts are I believe, are to tell us how he sees it,to open dialogue, make improvements................and of course to sell the AFJ via pertinent information.

Regards

Ray
  19. Offline

Has anybody on here trained app , that has any views on an app program
  20. Offline

Ray,
    I know it's a tough world and getting started is even tougher - been there done that. Here are a few things I did when I started over here to get going:

1. BE ON TIME. I've had so many people comment to me about how their old farrier was late or never showed up. Even today with mobile phones, I still hear it. I've made it a standard policy for myself, if I think I am going to be 1 minute late, I call ahead and let the customer know. If I have an appointment at 1300, that doesn't mean I'm showing up at that time, that means I am set up ready to go to work.

2. BE HONEST. Don't try to tap dance your way around if you make a mistake. I had a customer call me a day later and say their horse was lame. As soon as possible I got to the horse, pulled the shoe. I could see I had a nail too close causing pressure on the sole. I showed them the problem, admitted it was my mistake, told them to keep in contact with me. That was 19yrs ago and I am still doing their horses. If you get into a situation over your ability, let the customer know. A couple weeks ago I was asked to put on some glue-ons because their own farrier didn't feel good enough to do them. I did the job and told the person if their own farrier wanted to be there the next time, she could assist and talk to me about it. She will join me later. The customer is very happy I am willing to work with her farrier. Honestly goes a long way.

3. DEVELOP GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICES. When you show up, have time for the customer and horses. The most important horse in the country is the one you are currently doing. People don't care about the next place you got to go to.
    Take time to ask questions about their horses and the owners themselves. I try to take time for a cup of coffee with them. You will be amazed how much you can learn about a horse over a cup of coffee.
    Show up clean and presentable. If you got to take extra shirts to stay that way, then do it. Some days I'll go through 5 or 6 shirts a day. Clean up after your done at a place so you're presentable to the next place. Good reason to hot shoe, warm water to clean up with. Along with this, try to keep your rig clean and presentable.
    Schedule your next appointment, make sure they write it down, or write it on their bill.
    Remember the only dumb question is the one never asked. If your customers got questions, take time to answer them or explain something to them.
    Be polite to customers. Don't talk about another farrier's work. Unless you were there when the work was done, you know all the circumstances behind the shoeing method then you can't really make a judgment. Also it's something customers remember and just remember - what comes around, goes around.
    If you have a telephone time, keep it. Make sure you're contactable. I tell my customers I don't keep my phone on me during my time off, but they also know it will switch over to an answering machine I have on my phone at home. If it's an emergency I'll get back to them if I'm home.
    Inform your customers when you're taking a vacation or time off. This helps them plan as well.

4. SELF IMPROVEMENT. Take the time for clinics or ride along with other farriers. Schedule these ahead of time if possible and let your customers know you are doing these things.
    Work to a certification. Many times that piece of paper and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, but it is the journey to getting that piece of paper which makes you better.

When I started my business it took about 4 years until I could have a business supporting my house hold. Even after I had a well established business, I was called to Active Duty for a year. It took 2 years after I returned to get things back going again. A newbie is going to have to be flexible. If you are starting out and got a family to support, better plan ahead before stopping that other job. Be prepared to take every rank nasty horse in the world, because sometimes that's all that's left. Have other skills to to fill in the down time when starting, I know I had to.
    I don't know everything, but I do know there is more to a successful business than just being the best iron banger, best trimmer, best shoer - but it sure goes a long way if you can do a good job as well and both the horse and owner are happy.