Ridge around the hoof

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by gary evans, May 20, 2012.

1. Offline

gary evans old and slow

This is a yearling I saw on Friday. Last trimmed 6 weeks back when his feet looked perfectly normal. The only change since last being done is that he had an op to repair a hernia 2 1/2 weeks ago. He has a ridge like this on all four feet and I am assuming that the cause is related to the trauma of the surgery, but it surprises me that it is so far down from the coronary band. Anyone able to enlighten me further?

sunny.JPG
  2. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

The few babies that I trim grow really fast it seems to me.
  3. Offline

gary evans old and slow

True, but this one had been on box rest since the op, so no wear to speak of on its feet, yet there was next to nothing to trim off.
  4. Offline

Retained a little sole as well as growth since it was on box rest?
  5. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Think I might have spotted it...
  6. Offline

lol, I'm sure you would have. I'm running outta guesses. :p
  7. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Hey, if I was so smart, I wouldn't have to be asking for opinions here... didn't meant to sound p!ssy.
    :cool:
  8. Offline

Jack mac Guest

A high dose long duration period of penicillin or derivative of penicillin or a mild reaction to penicillin will most likely of been the cause. Penicillin affects calcium & phosphate levels. To high a prolonged dose will affect bone density. It can also trigger irregularity in cortisol levels in response to bringing order back to white cell count & can effect cartilage in the process . Which is what your seeing in those hooves & you will more then like notice a slight drop in the sole as well.
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Gary,

I would disagree, be it here or some other place, asking questions, and hearing answers and theories has a chance to make one "smarter" ! I think it's pretty intelligent to ask !

regards

ray Steele
  10. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

If the horse has had anesthesia, analgesia or antibiotic that could potentially all manifest itself by showing as a line on the foot.

Or the horse might just have been bored stupid on box rest and found something to kick or rub away on....
  11. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Interesting. Thanks

I was aware of that, I'm just surprised that the line is so far down the foot after just two and a half weeks.

He'd have to have been really conscientious, multidextrous and balanced to get the line exactly the same on all four feet! Line him up for dressage schooling! :)
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Looks like a corinitis.
  13. Offline

All these suggestions still have to originate from the coronary band, right?

So doesn't explain the growth but no evidence of growth (nothing to trim)

I remember when I smashed my thumb, the whole nail bruised and swelled. The old nail was much thicker than the new growth. Perhaps because the layer underneath cornified in response to the trauma, and created two separate layers. The top layer ended up falling off revealing the second.

Given that, my new guess is ............

I still don't know. :p

(Sounded smart for a little bit there)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2