Saddlebred shoeing ?s

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by brian robertson, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I was puzzled by Karen closing the thread that had evolved from TWH to saddlebred shoeing. It could have been educational for the short hoof shoers. Travis and Jac Mac could have come out of their comfort zone. Even Karen.

Of all the different horses/disciplines on my books, the percentage of cripples is the lowest among the "High Society" horses and highest among AQHA/Paint western things followed by a close second amongst the dressage wannabes.

Just because one is unfamilar with a particular equine activity/riding style doesn't neccessarily make it wrong.
  2. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Brian, I know nothing about saddlebred shoeing and how bad is that compared to TWH's?
  3. Offline

[IMG]

How about this one: The upper edge of this shoe would be fitted to what is left of the wall on a club foot after it broke off when the shoe was pulled. There would be 2-3 thick leather pads and a wedge or 2 plus alot of equilox used in the application. The horse would be able to be worked and/or shown the next day; no down time so the horse, the owner & trainer all happy. Plus shoer gets the check.

[IMG]

Regards : heartbar support for long footed horse possibly one with a negative palmar angle or weak digital cushion plus weak and/or sore heels that wouldn't tolerate wedging. Would have 2-3 heavy leather pads cut into a rim pads. Again a shoe like this would be used to keep one showing instead of being turned out.

This is a customer service business. A hard core competitor wants to compete, not hear that their horse has to be turned out just because you can't help them out of a bad situation. If you can't, they'll find somebody like Wilhelm or Jaye who can...
  4. Offline

Have you used any shoes like that?
  5. Offline

Karen, THW Big Lick shoeing/soring is a polar opposite of the Saddlebred shoeing. If a High Society horse has any pain what so ever and isn't as close to perfectly comfortable with their feet; they go like a "ruptured duck" and would not get any ribbon at all. I have seen more than one Judge offer an exhibitor the opportunity to withdraw from the class when there was some form of unevenness, by the horse, presented.
  6. Offline

The heartbar shoe, yes. The broken hoof shoe, more than a couple of times but mine were not as fancy as Wilhelm's. I might have to "borrow" some features from his shoe.
  7. Offline

I heard that saddlebreds love attention and I've seen videos of them doing nice gaits as babies.
    Sounds like much more sensible shows.
    What are the guidelines for shoes with them and toes?
  8. Offline

9. Offline

I hope you don't think I was anti-those odd looking shoes. I know nothing about them-till now. But I have to say that I have foolishly looked at them till now-when I see that they can help the worst case scenarios. I am in awe of farriery.

Thanks for the link. I have a TWH, barefoot. But I've always loved saddlebreds as well.