sheared heels

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Mike Maddix, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

So glad to have found this forum. I have lots of questions and hope to learn a lot.

I thought I remembered from school to drop the side of the heel that is jammed up. But after going over my text book again it seems that I may have remembered incorrectly and made the situation worse. How does this look to you? I hope I left it better then I found it.

PS. this is a back yard pet and the likely hood of shoes isn't very good.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I don't see where you did anything different than what was done the last time.
  3. Offline

jacob1 Member

So instead of saying that. Why don't you be helpfull and explain what should have been done? That way people can learn. Isn't that what we are all here for?
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

How did you get to see what was done last time Tom? did i miss a series of pictures?

ray
  5. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

you say in the original post drop the jammed up heel , it must be eyes but after the trim it looks to 1/2" higher , im confused to what you are saying
  6. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

Thank you, I thought this was a pretty simple question that most experienced farriers would be able to help me with. I still am not sure if I did the wrong thing? I'm putting myself/work out here to learn. Something a lot of farriers are not doing.

[IMG]
  7. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

Let me make sure I have my terminology straight 1st. The medial side of the foot is the side with the jammed up heel correct? That is the side that I removed more hoof from the ground surface. So whilst the medial side still has more length from coronet to ground. It is the side I am trying to drop. Am I doing it wrong?
  8. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

forget the terminology , the photo clearly shows the "jammed up" heel after trimming to be a lot higher
  9. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

OK. A lot higher then what? Then it was before I trimmed it? Forgetting the terminology I can only guess that you mean the medial side is higher. I can only guess that by saying higher, that means the bulb on the medial side needs to come down. I can only guess that that means I need to remove more heel from the medial side then I already did. I hope I'm not coming off as a dick. Maybe it's too hot. I feel like I asked a simple question in hopes of learning and I'm being chided for it. If you meant no offense then please accept my apology.
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Mike you can buy a high speed camera for £180 in the uk be interesting to see how that foot lands, what I will say is you will struggle to fix that with a trim. It looks like it is a high low heeled horse with Im guessing lands pretty heavily lateral first. That medial heel is being dragged upwards not pushed.
  11. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Image2.jpg Image3.jpg
    Ray I don't see where he changed the relative M/L orientation of the heels to be much different than it was before the foot was trimmed. The shunted heel (jammed up) is longer before and still longer after by about the same amount.
  12. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

Is a high low heeled horse (never heard that b4) exactly as it sounds in this situation? One heel bulb higher then the other? I can't imagine this horse was born this way. It must have happened from poor farriery, no?
  13. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

Yes I didn't change it much. The lateral heel has been barely touched and the medial I took down as much as I could without making the horse sore from lack of sole.
  14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

No left foot is low heeled and right is high, or that is how it looks from the pic.
  15. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

before throwing farrier under the bus, might want to take closer look at this horse's diagonal hind. I've found this type of heel shear is due to compensating for pain elsewhere in the horse. Solve that puzzle and this foot will trim and balance right out in no time.
  16. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Hi low!
  17. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

Oh OK, thanks. I will have to start looking for that. I'm not sure I've ever separated the thought of high/low situation with out the toes being high low as well. I don't recall what the toes looked like on this one. But judging from the sole. It seems that the foot is more upright then the left.
  18. Offline

Mike Maddix Member

Since I'm the one trying here to specifically learn what the heck I'm looking at. Would you please do me a favor and not throw out 2 word relies like that? Haha, I'm 1/2 kidding here. But seriously. what would a high low heeled horse have to do with this? I would imagine the high low heeled horse is pretty common and this level of sheer is not nearly as common. Of course my level of mastery on this matter is clearly quite small.
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Its bio mech consequence of the loading of the hoof, the capsule is a mirror image of the forces placed on it.
  20. Offline

david a hall Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List