Laminitis Shed entire frog?

Discussion in 'Farrier Advice For Horses With Lameness Issues' started by Donna, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Offline

Donna New Member

Hello everyone, I found the forum while in search of information on the web in regards to my mare. A brief description, my mare was diagnosed as IR and foundered in June of this year. Xrays show 5-8 degree rotation. We moved from Texas to Co in Dec. so you can image the changes she's had to go through. Since we moved she's gained weight and her treatment plan includes a diet menu of grass hay and small amount of low carb low sugar feed to mix with her supplements to get her to eat it which are Thyro-L and a metabolism booster. She's on a 4 week trim schedule, wears soft ride boots and in the comfort of deep shavings while in her stall. Since June she's lost 150lbs and everything was going well. During her last farrier's visit on July 13 we discussed her hooves being very hard and dry so I began to hose her feet every day or two while in the boots and allow them to remain wet for several hours. I would them take them off at night for them to dry while her feet were protected in the deep shavings. July 24th she was sore her LF foot, even in her soft ride boot. I called the vet and an xray was done to check for changes in rotation but there wasn't. The vet probed around and used the hoof testers, she then found that her frog had shed but it was all in one piece. To keep her comfortable we put a softer pad in the boot. 3 days later she sheds the frog in her RF just as she did before in a big piece. The next day which is today she did the same in her RR but also shed a chunk of sole. My question is, is this okay or a good thing? Should I be concerned with infection setting in? Any advice, FYI or whatever please share. I've never had a horse founder before so I'm doing everything my vet and farrier advise me to do to give her the best chance to recover from this. I want to educate myself as much as I can so here I am. I've posted a photo of her LF.
    thanks in advance
    Donna

Attached Files:

2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

What did your farrier say about this? Regardless, there is nothing to worry about. Horses will shed their old frog once or twice a year if it is not routinely 'neatened up' by the farrier. I would expect her to be a bit tender on the new frog for a few days until it hardens up. The sole she shed is also no big deal because it too was just exfoliating of its own accord.
  3. Offline

Donna New Member

4. Offline

Donna New Member

Wheewww, that's a relief of my worry for today, thanks for the quick response Rick.
    I've not spoken to my farrier but waiting for him to return my call. So I'm guessing its a good possibility she will shed the other back one in a day or two.
    I've had her for 3 years and trimmed every 6 weeks. She's never shed her frogs like this before nor have I been aware of my other horses shedding a frog so deep and in such a big piece, sorta freaks you out to see that hole in the middle of the foot especially when dealing with the horror of founder.

thanks again I truly appreciate it.
    Donna
  5. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Soaking her feet in the boots can soften the soles enough to make her sore. I've never understood why people are against hard dry feet, Mine all have water running out of them at the moment.
  6. Offline

Donna New Member

Hi Justin,
    My farrier suggested we add moisture to her feet because he said when he trimmed her back feet, the word he used was popped like glass and she had no give in her hooves. Maybe standing in the dry shavings sucked the moisture out? idk. He said by adding some moisture it would promote her to shed her sole but he didn't warn me about the frog...lol Anyway I hoped by me hosing her feet in the boots and allowing her to stand in the wet boot for an hour or two that it would add enough moisture but not too much. I removed the boot for them to dry before I put them back on. I'm cautious with that because I don't want a thrush problem on top of what we already have going on.
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I agree with Justin about dry feet being a good thing. Soaking the feet just makes your farriers job easier.

Regards
  8. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I came across this one today and think you just experienced a more extreme version of this.
    We had long dry spell during which the frog did not exfoliate at all and then a wet spell which softened up all the old unexfoliated tissue - the result being the 'whole frog' just peeled off in my hand.
    No harm done...

frog.JPG
  9. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

With our drought I have been seeing a lot of this...