Shetland Pony

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Mikel Dawson, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Was out to a customer who asked me to look at a pony stabled there. It isn't one of her's. When she brought it out of the box it was lame on both hinds - just as if it was foundered. No problems with the fronts. All four hoves have line exactly the same distance down. I have pics of the fronts and backs. Hinds are the first pic. Almost looks like the hoof came loose. I asked the lady if there was a dramatic change in feed, this could cause it. Never seen this problem before. I checked the hinds with my hoof tester and they reacted exactly as if the pony was foundered on the hinds. She said the farrier for the pony was coming Monday, so I wasn't to do any thing. She just wanted me to look at it. Ideas?

View attachment 4227

View attachment 4227

Tangvej Pony 012a.jpg Tangvej Pony 015a.jpg
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

3. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

some form of poisoning 3-4 months ago?
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

A coronary infraction.
  5. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Dave, Tom, could you expand a little?
  6. Offline

From what I have read, it is something internal as it looks like it effected all four hooves, but why the hides the worst?
  7. Offline

I suspect some kind of short term infection. It appears that something happened internally that shut down horn production a the coronary band for enough time to show up in the horn growing out. It looks very similar to horses I have worked on with lime's disease infections, but I don't know if that is a a possible problem in Europe. Usually horses recover from acute lime's disease if it is caught early and treated. If it is not treated, things can really go south in a hurry.

I lost a horse a few years ago to severe chronic lime's disease. The feet literally stopped growing and there wasn't anything I could do about the situation as the horn continued to deteriorate over time without being replaced from above. The horse was not a good candidate for IV antibiotics as the owner wasn't able to administer the shots and couldn't afford to pay the vet to come on a daily basis and give the IV injections.
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

This suffix has come to mean "inflammation of" but originally it meant "pertaining to" or "of the". The Greek word nosos ["disease"] was either expressed or understood, although it might not be included with the basic element. For example, bursitis nosos would mean "disease of the bursa".
    What has caused it would be tricky to say unless you could identify an episode, Could be as Tom has said infection, or protein toxicity or lymphatic system problems, could be a lot of system failures short or long term.
  9. Offline

HOOF WORMS!!! - ducking . . .
  10. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Tom if you have hoofworms you would be better of squating rather than ducking
  11. Offline

I figure there is no way I'd be able to identify the cause as it has been some time back and you all know how people pay attention to their horses.