Shoeing rig ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I am planning to start building a new shoeing body for my truck. It will be aluminum. I will also most likely be building a flat bed for the truck that the new shoeing body will mount to. My question is what are your favorite things about your rig? I am looking for ideas that I can incorporate into my rig. Also include thing you would like to have on a rig. Ah hell, while we're at it y'all might as well talk about things you don't like/wouldn't want too. Oh and I have a complete fab shop so I am building the whole works myself from scratch.
  2. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

big enough rear door/awning to provide adequate rain/sun protection. everything within a easy reach; no climbing over other stuff. easy access to propane tank for refills
  3. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Behind the wheels is a void area that I saw Stonewell put a tub with a drain for ice and beverages. This is an important component of a complete first aid kit as you may burn your hand and holding a ice cold Ale will relieve pain.
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

May i suggest ..........take out for your next order?

ray
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

why ruin fine Ale with ice, if your fool enough to to burn your hand , have more ale and you won t have the problem making room for ice!

ray
  6. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

One of my biggest issues with my current rig is having to reach down into the bed to get things from up by the cab. When I open the doors I want everything on a level deck about waist high. That design will also be easier to wash out.
  7. Offline

KyleK Member

Think you guys got it rough... heres the setup now!

Its changed a bit since this photo with the anvil in there now I will need to make a partition

Attached Files:

8. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Kyle, is that a jeep liberty?
  9. Offline

KyleK Member

Yes sir, ride in comfort.. heater will melt my face off and it doesnt look half bad!
  10. Offline

KyleK Member

My plan is to line that entire cargo area with plywood all the way to the roof with a swing down flap to protect the glass in case stuff goes flying.

If you cant fit it all in that small of a space you dont NEED it :D
  11. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Are you going to pack a gas forge in there too?
  12. Offline

KyleK Member

That is the plan, I will have to use a swing out and ensure that the forge is cool when I put it back in.
  13. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

A swing out takes too much room, and is too complicated, I find. Make yourself a slide out. You can mount a grinder under it.

Regards
  14. Offline

KyleK Member

I will have to do some brainstorming.. it is going to take a bit of enginuity but I know at the very least I can fit my box, stand, anvil and forge in there.
  15. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

You could mount your hammers and tongs on the door, Install a bar between the window posts and hang some tool holders off it for pritchels, punches, rulers, creasers, forepunches, etc. You could install your shoe rack behind the front seats. Bill Adams, I think it is, made a really neat carousel one. Accessible from one back door. shelves/drawers for pads, additional tools, nails epoxies and packing and stuff behind the other front seat. Accessable from the other back door. Leave some room behind the shoe rack and tool drawers for bar stock. I saw one setup where the guy made brackets and hung his hoof stand upside down from the ceiling.

Regards
  16. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

put a headache rack behind your front seat; it's a proven life saver.
  17. Offline

KyleK Member

Yeah I have been in an accident once. It was in a car I owned, I was one of those people that had tonnes of junk piled onto the seats.... the actual impact was much less painful than the flying objects
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I was speaking to a friend who is considering going from a truck with farrier body to a van, he mentioned the Transit, apparently he saw some pics of rig set ups by an Italian company, I suggested that I ask here on the FF if some of the European farriers/members, would post pics of their set ups and or names of European sites that show rig set ups. The same request would extend to Australian, New Zealand, Asian, American farriers /members who may shoe out of a van type vehicle.

I suggested that he speak to the dealer bout a flat bed Transit which would allow him to build his box without the confines of the van structure, that said ,I don t know if that size van is available as a cab and chassis.

Thanks in advance

Ray

PS there you go Mike, good luck
  19. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Ray,
    Has your friend driven one, loaded?

I haven't but a friend of mine used one w/ a Stonewell interior and said it scared the hell out of him on the highway. Didn't like how they drove and didn't feel safe.

And he's used to small overloaded Toyotas w/ Stonewells.
  20. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I have a transit van