Squashed Heels

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Susan Holden, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Offline

Susan Holden Member

I need a dumbed down explanation of why Sam's heels are getting more and more squashed. He is the one with the navicular issues. He lives 24/7 in boots with a rubber pad in them. Very definate toe first landing. Gets trimmed every 3 weeks or so. I try very hard to keep them a good shape but the heels are just, well, squashing! I'm guessing it has something to do with the toe first thing but can't work it out?o_O
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

You're just covering up the problem with a boot.
  3. Offline

Susan Holden Member

I need a little more information than that Tom. I need to understand at least part of the why's.
  4. Offline

jack mac Guest

PHOTO'S !!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
  5. Offline

Wet horn is soft horn. Dry horn is harder. How do you keep a foot dry when it's contained inside a boot?

Heels collapse due to being soft and mechanically overloaded. If the heels are too long, they will act like levers and collapse due to leveraged loading. If the toe is too long, the ground pushes up on the toe lever - which happens to be the other end of the heel ground force lever.

Get some pictures up here of the trimmed foot. Usually that's where the problem begins. Maybe we can help you adjust how you're trimming the foot.

Also, need better diagnostics regarding "navicular issues." Basically that means "the back half of the foot hurts."
  6. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

Throw that icky boot and the barefoot ideology away.Barefoot is okay for a horse with really good feet sometimes.
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

This post is just what we dont need. You have stated that you are here to learn well comments like you have posted wont help that, who cares if Susan has shoes on her horse of bare foot or boots, I certainly dont.
    People asking questions fuels debate and the possibility to learn, A fear that thet will be ridiculed and abused wont help that.
    Susan's horse with photos and clinical history may well throw open some good points for us to discuss, enable the forum to expand as a place where normal people can come and learn.
    So Susan please feel free to post some pics, any veterinary clinical history and I would be delighted to help.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Offline

Meanwhile, the horse is getting worse. I care about the horse. Has it ever occurred to you that occassionally, some the people we meet in the horse world need to have [education]
    We meet all kinds of silly ass people who shouldn't be allowed to own a gerbil, who own a barn full of studs they have no business owning. Like the girl at the fun show the other day; she was telling me how much she knew, then tried putting her bridle on upside down.
  9. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Travis, I appreciate the fact that you say you're here to learn, but it seems that when someone gives you advice, you react by posting a whole bunch of excuses. Also, you seem to throw a lot of stones for someone who lives in a glass house. You do know that this is the internet, don't you? Everything you post can be read by everyone who has a computer. I suggest you review some of your posts, both here and on HS, and ask yourself if they really reflect who you want to be.

Regards
  10. Offline

Barn full of studs? What's a stud? A male horse is a stallion. A stud is a place. Or is proper terminology being too snobbish for a down home country boy like you? Kinda like the pretend to be shoer who cant shape a shoe without turning cams or weld in a forge I suppose:rolleyes:
    George[/quote]

I showed you in the other thread that I could weld in a forge.

And hardly anyone in he western half of the U.S. uses the term, "stallion". They're studs. Nobody in the U.S. really uses the term, "stud" to refer to a place, with the exception of New Englanders.
  11. Offline

As with most, you fall on grammar or spelling when you've been shown to be a . If you have anything constructive to say, by all means, say it. If it's just more about how nobody is up to your standard, just go
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Can you start a new thread with this.
  13. Offline

They could get a room . . .
  14. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

THIS IS SUSAN'S THREAD! KEEP IT SUSAN'S THREAD. KEEP IT SUSAN'S THREAD
  15. Offline

And you great accomplishments are.... ? I make no claims of greatness. I do a good, solid job of shoeing and do my best for my clients and their owners. As with anything, there will always be other folks who are better at the job or one aspect or another of it. I'm still trying to improve.

Can we keep this on topic for Susan?
  16. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Last deleted thread was by George and Travis, not just George.
  17. Offline

My immediate thought was some kinda bar shoe, but I would have to see what the foot looked like after being out of the boot a few days so it had time to dry and normalise.
  18. Offline

Also, I didn't write the thing about staying on topic. I think that was Karen's editing.
  19. Offline

Susan Holden Member

OK you lot keep it nice. First the horse is in boots because he has a nailing problem. I do try my best to keep everything trimmed down, keeping to widest part of the frog. Mal checks my trims and doesn't seem to think more can come off. There's a lot of history about this horse on HS. He has a photobucket album but you will have to wait for recent pics as I am not feeling the best today and we are in the middle of shearing. Was just trying to get a grasp of possible mechanics. Keep in ming when you look a the older pages in the album that they go back a few years and He was the reason Mal and I got on HS. Trimming and shoeing have improved a lot since then.

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/gluey33/Sam/

Initially in the boots we didn't have moisture problems. Now he has a bit of magic cushion in there, but yes it does concern me. I guess i need some other options, maybe glue?
  20. Offline

Hire a shoer your vet recommends.