stringhalt

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Bill Adams, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I do a nice QH that has developed Stringhalt. It's pretty bad. We decided not to do his hinds 'till the vet comes out next week. This is just the second one I've ever worked with. the first wasn't as bad, he was an out of control rescue draft that wouldn't let you work on anything, so the vet tranked him and we just nipped off the flair with his feet on a 2x4.
    Anyway, how do you all work with these, and how do you cure the problem? Need to know so I can look like a hero on this deal.
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Bill, As far as I know, there is no cure. A lateral digital extensor tenectomy has also been used as a treatment by veterinarians with a success rate of just over 50%. In my custom, I have had success trimming/shoeing these horses after a mild to moderate dose of tranquilizer has been administered. I have found that Dormosedan or Dormosedan with a bit of butorphanol ("Torbugesic/Torb") added makes the job a whole lot easier. Make your life easier by using a cradle.
  3. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Bill I have done a lot of them
    shoe them as close to the ground as possible
  4. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I own a percheron that has stringhalt. Like smitty said, hold him as close to the ground as possible. Give very frequent breaks.
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Bill, on horses that won't/can't pick up their hinds, I have become quite adept at trimming them by resting their toe on the toe of my steel toed boot. Most are comfortable with this once they get used to it. I worry about my metatarsals, but haven't been hurt yet, and I've been doing it for years. You might try using a 2 x 4 instead of your toe, but you have less control that way. If they won't bring their foot forward onto a stand, a 2 x 4 will work sometimes ( as a stand, not a club :p )

Regards
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I worked with a good friend who would put a 2x4 flat on the floor and put the toe of the horse's hoof on it. The horse got use to it and would stand real good with this and stood just fine.
  7. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Thanks all. I have a cradle that will go as low as 13". The owner has been working with the horse and finds he handles his legs better after a light warm up.
  8. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Bill, just watch your fingers when he snatches that leg up...
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Sedalin or the American equivalent can also help.