swelling in tendons from a short trim?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rubberboots, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Offline

rubberboots New Member

I have a 10 yr old 17.1 TB that's on a 5 wk trim schedule; was done on 6/19/12. A lot was taken off, and he was walking a bit slow after but we've just hit hot weather finally so initially I attributed it to that. Yesterday he was quite sore and I called the farrier and he said he'd come back to have a look today. Now the horse is developing swelling/filling around his tendons and the farrier isn't here yet.
    Is this possible from being trimmed short? Should I call the vet? Please advise.
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Call the vet.
  3. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

If in doubt call a good Horse Vet.
  4. Offline

jack mac Guest

His more then likely developing abscesses caused by bruising to soft tissue from being trimmed to short. The vet should be called.
  5. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

If the horse is very foot sore you can provide temporary relief in this way -

Go to the home and garden section of Wal-Mart or any large department store, Sears, Target, etc. and buy some "kneeling pads" and a roll of duct tape. Cut the pads to fit the bottom of your horse's feet and tape them to the foot. Don't put any tape above the hoof on the coronary band. The pads will last a few days and then you can replace them. They cost about $9.00 a set and one set should be enough to cover your horse's feet several times. See picture below . . .
    [IMG]
  6. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Are all four affected or just one?
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I've done this on a sore pony, using "flip-flop" sandals. It works well.

Regards
  8. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

:confused: You did this w/ kneeling pads while wearing flip flops? Pony was wearing flip flops and you put on the kneeling pads? Wait, now I get it.:whistle:
  9. Offline

Let me clarify.:notworthy:. I cut the flip-flops (about $1.00 per pair @ RiteAid) to fit, and taped them on the ponies feet. It made the pony happy for a while. ( clarification posted for those who may not get the "farrier banter" thing )

Regards
  10. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i am confused Rick , which colour goes on which foot ?
  11. Offline

The ones I used had fish pictures on them, I think.:LOL: The duct tape covered them up, anyway.

Regards
  12. Offline

Rubber boots,

This is a good question, by the way. Denise may be thinking laminitis? Definitly call the vet.

Regards
  13. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

By all means get the Farrier out asap. If he has to he/she can put wide webs shoes on the horse or pad it up as advised above..It does happen, so give your Farrier a chance to make it right..Vets are going to say soak and that just makes things worst with an already soft hoof. Get some Durasole and apply daily and you will keep your horses hoofs in good shape all the time..Good Luck!!