Other Tendon Sheath Injury-DDFT laxity

Discussion in 'Farrier Advice For Horses With Lameness Issues' started by Jennifer Henderson, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Offline

Jennifer Henderson New Member

I have a 13 year old mare that got a wire cut 10 months ago across the back of her pastern. The tendon sheath became infected and it was touch and go for several months. She was on stall rest for about 6 months with an aluminum wedge shoe with the toe cut out. Her HPA has been out of alignment since the infection, and we have been working to get it corrected. She has a slight reverse angle on XR. The vet seems to think with her tendon laxity, that we are doing all we can for her. She is comfortable at a walk, but has significant lameness at a trot. She lands heel first and then her toe hits the ground. Her heels are severely under run from the wedge and tendon laxity. Her frog is bulging and she has lost the collateral grooves. They (vet and farrier) decided to put her back in a flat shoe with rolled toe and extra support at the heels with hopes of getting her to grow more heel where she needs it. I'm not optimistic and I'm worried it will undo what little progress we have made.

My farrier seems to be at a loss on what to do for her. We've been working on her for 10 months. My only goal is to keep her sound enough to be a broodmare. I know I've provided limited info, but any suggestions?? How do you grow heel when you have tendon laxity and under run heels???
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Jenifer what is an XR? I have never heard of tendon laxity from sheath infection (but that doesnt mean it cant happen). Does the vet suggest which area the lameness is coming from?
    I am intrigued by the rational as to why the shoe was open at the toe.
  3. Offline

XR=Xray. The vet doesn't know where exactly the lameness is coming from, but the tendon had significant damage from the infection. Ultrasound showed several lesions, but most of the damage is in the pastern area that is difficult to visualize with ultrasound. I should clarify that the wedge shoe was a bar shoe with the toe cut out for ease of breakover. MRI would be the best diagnostic tool, but that is not an option due to the cost.

The first vet that treated her put her in glue on boots (I forget what they are called) that had removable wedges on the bottom. As the hoof grew in the boot, thats when the toe started popping off the ground and the tendon began showing laxity. We have never been able to regain the original HPA after the tendon became lax. She was good (at a walk) in the aluminum wedge bar shoe for a long time, but it has made her heels completely under run.
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Could you take a pic of the hoof for us? and the Hpa?
    Has the DDFT increased in lenght at the point of damage?
    to see the x-rays would also be good.
  5. Offline

This X-ray is from back in November when she was in a wedge pad and bar shoe. I will get vet to email most current X-rays tomorrow. The pics are from today. We don't know where the tendon lengthening is exactly.

Attached Files:

6. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

How much time between the x ray and the pics of the feet.
  7. Offline

These are X-rays that were taken same day as above photos. One is before trimming when she is still wearing the open toe aluminum wedge bar shoe. The second is after the trim.

Attached Files:

8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Jenifer, I think that the shoeing doesnt have any glaring eras, My advice would be to get this reffered to another vet, get a lameness diagnosis, a prognosis and move from there. There are a multitude of possibilities causing the lameness and all may be treatable, but to come up with a rational for a shoeing package on your horse may be a bit tough with the current clinical history.
  9. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Scarring/adhesions to/of the soft tissues at and around the original lesion site could be the culprit.
  10. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

When they raise the heels with wedge shoe do they do a pour in pad or a pad with impression material..you are just going for broodmare sound...thats a reachable goal I think..