the bugs this year . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by dana fenn, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

the bug population is at it's peak here in minnesota right now. anyone else having this kind of trouble?
    saturday it was the size of a half a baseball.
    sunday it was the size of a half a softball.
    monday it looks like this . . . . . clean it once a day and have been putting swat on it. harder than a rock . . . . ughh!

Attached Files:

2. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Yes I agree..I'm not gonna tell a lie on the big population cause I don't know the hard numbers ...but I will tell the stone cold truth on what I seen with my very own eyes..I feed the wild turkeys corn out back cause I like to set in shade and spit snuff and watch them peck around..and Saturday as I was watching ...a 20 lb gobbler with atleast a 12 ich beard was pecking around and masquito sneeked up behind him and stood flat footed and raped that damn turkey...u should have heard the sqwackin..
  3. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

I had a client ring last week and described to me the exact same growth in the exact same place on her horse. I must call her and get some pictures. I advised calling the Vet pronto. Her's grew to the size of a basketball(her word). Vet said he felt it was a venomous bite of some kind from a Brown Recluse to a Scorpion. He couldn't find a bite though. Dose of antibiotics and drain.
  4. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

Nothing venomous in this neck of the woods but i'm hoping i see improvement by tomorrow. if not, it's 2 hours to get the vet here and $300 just to have him come in the driveway.
  5. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

Round here Vets want you to do the travelling!
  6. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

My mare had the same thing on her and it went away on its own in about 10 day vet said bug bite of some kind no worries

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  7. Offline

jack mac Guest

Its an area where horses can develop fat deposits or fluid build up. So it could be any number of things to cause that size welt. Allergic reaction to insect bite or spider bite , infected lymph nodes (Glands), haematoma . I've even seen bastard straggles develop in that area on a few horses. If it feels a hard mass it will take time to resolve its self. If its gaining in size or doesn't look like its going to resolve its self on its own over time.Then its worth having a vet have a look & give the horse the once over.