Other This One Has Me Baffled Guys!

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Ashley Cole, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Offline

Ashley Cole New Member

So... Some former clients of mine, (whom I dropped last year for several reasons) decided it would be a good idea to try to ride their mare over a guard rail. Mare pulled back and the guard rail decided to keep 1/4 of her hoof. It appears to have removed the whole cornary band... the vet and several other farriers think it will grow back, but I don't see how it can just "regenerate" a hoof? Going to see the mare and meet with the vet, in person, on Wednesday. I'm thinking an e.d.d.s. eggbar... backwards shoe, weld a bar to the heels of a keg shoe? I definitely think I should stabilize the hoof somehow, to avoid any more separation. The horse doesn't stand good, of course, so I won't have a huge amount of time to mess around. Any and all help, suggestions and shares experiences would be appreciated! :) Thanks Guys! 16871.jpeg 16834.jpeg
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Looks healthy enough which is a start. How long ago did it happen?
    I will stick my neck out and say there is a very good chance that what, I use the term loosely, grows back, won't be strong enough to weight bear.
  3. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Just my thoughts based on the photos and some past experience.

If there is no portion of the coronary band left then there will be no horn growth, however, the area will conify over time and it may be possible to rebuild the area w/ acrylics afterwards. This should be done slowly and in layers to prevent to much heat from the curing process.

I would start with an egg bar with a frogplate (heart bar) and EDSS or similar impression mtl.

One thing that will have to be addressed as well is all the granulation tissue.

I've dealt w/ a couple of similar injuries. Ones that are cared for long term can do well, ones that aren't may as well be put down because even pasture sound may not be achievable. I know of one for sure that was sound for light riding and she lost a portion of the wing of the coffin bone.

Good luck, you've got your hands full.
  4. Offline

gary evans old and slow

The alarm bells ring for me when you look at the state of the foot in the first picture. If the owners cannot be bothered to look after a healthy foot, why would you believe that they would put in the work required to rehabilitate an injured foot? That foot is going to take some serious care - and who's going to get the blame when it all goes wrong?
    Personally, I would walk away... tell them that this is vet responsibility, not farrier.
  5. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

so the vet and several farriers have looked at it , why hasnt one of them taken the job on then ? I agree with Gary on this , if it was one of my regular clients it would be a completely different kettle of fish , but to take on a case like this for a horse that doesnt stand well I would leave well alone
  6. Offline

Ashley Cole New Member

Thank you all for all of your sound advice. This happened on May 24th. I went and trimmed her Wednesday. The vet was happy with how it has started to heal. She has been changing her bandage everyday. The vet talked her into taking her to MSU for further treatment. He will have the granular tissue debried then she will wear a cast for a week to 10 days. Then back to MSU and the farrier there is going to make a shoe for her. (Sounds like an eggbar shoe) Then she wants me to continue to shoe her. I mean, I don't think the hoof will grow back. After seeing it, I really don't believe she will ever have hoof growth there, only callused scar tissue. She has thanked me and thanked me for coming back and working on her. And after I timed her, she asked me if I was up to the challenge. Of course I said yes. I do like this challenge but lIke what was mentioned above... "who's going to get the blame..." But if I tell her I don't want to be a part of the "team," I feel like I'm going back on my word. Sorry for all the crazy thoughts. HaHa. Thank you all for your great advice. I'm definitely going to think about calling her and asking if she would find someone else.
  7. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Have you worked on anything like this before? I would also like to know why the other farriers who have seen the horse haven't taken the case. If this was a client I had fired previously, it would take an awful lot to get me to work on it again. Also if it was not a vet that I was very familiar with, I probably wouldn't take the case either.
  8. Offline

Ashley Cole New Member

No, I haven't. But I love a challenge and I love the experience. I have a passion for fixing hooves. That why I said yes, for the science of it. The horse was taken to MSU, where they put a cast of sorts on the hoof. Sounds like they performed a minor surgery to remove some of the scar tissue. Tomorrow, they are supposed to take the horse back, to have the cast removed and a farrier there, will make a shoe or her. If I don't think I can do it, I won't. But it would be interesting to follow her on her journey. I can't find a picture online, that is as severe of an injury as what her hoof looks like. I do hear what youre saying Burney... But the curiosity is getting me.
  9. Offline

Ashley Cole New Member

Her with the cast.

Attached Files: