Toe crack and keratoma.Possible relation among themselves.

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gabino, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Offline

Gabino Active Member

A farrier send me a couple of pics for opinion.A mare has toe crack in left front and a evident sign of keratoma in rigth front.I´m very interested in the problem of toe crack,and I'm wondering about the possible relation among these cracks and keratomas in toe.Can be the toe crack the origin of the most of keratomas?

I'd like try a straigthbar shoe with many clips (like for fracture coffin bone) in this toe cracks.If the forces of the hooof are involved in the genesis of the toe crack,maybe that shoe could work well.

What was firstly,the hen or the egg?

kerayañez1.JPG kerayañez2.JPG kerayañez3.JPG
  2. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Gabino,

I see that "black hole" in the toe a lot. Sometimes it goes away with trimming and treatment, almost always goes away with hot shoeing. I've asked a lot of farriers and clinicians about what causes it and have never gotten a satisfactory answer. I've asked about it on the other forum also. Do you think it is cause by a hidden keratoma?

Regards
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

In the beginning there was HYDROGEN, followed by WATER, and then FUNGUS, ARCHIMEDES, NEWTON, and DARWIN.
  4. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Couldn't get an after trim solar shot because my phone kept turning off. :mad:
    This is the before on my Stud whom I suspect has a Kertoma.

He shows no lameness though as a pasture pet. lol

This discolouration stays constant and so does the void at the toe. I've had him since he was a yearling, and there was no trauma to the foot to cause a life long scar there.

uploadfromtaptalk1333755478726.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
  5. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Many black hole are a litle infection,((Seedy toe can be his name??). When the coffin bone has "crena marginis", many of them have the black hole.Usually,this black hole concerns the white line only,but don't desplace him.When there is a keratoma,it "pushes" the white line against the coffin bone.Then we can see a white line with a characteristic curvature like the first pic.
    The keratoma has more symptoms,like recurrent drain in the coronet band and it excaves the coffin bone.The decolorate bandage could be a great symptom of keratoma too.

Many crena marginis infected with seedy toe have treated like keratoma.The problem is the correct definition: "What's keratoma" "What's his ethiology?".While we don't know everything about the keratomas,many of them will treated like simple abscess a many of abscess ,sequestrum or osteitis will treated like queratomas.
  6. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Gabino,

He's not lame at the moment, but also just filling pasture space. I intend on one day having time to start working with him for riding. If he starts having trouble and it is a Keratoma, what is the usual outcome of having one removed.
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Obviously the reason the hoof wall splits when there is a black hole is due to the extremely high gravity . . . at least that's the quantum theory. ;)