Trimming foals

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Discussion on trimming foals with issues.
  2. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

Prefer to trim bottom flat around the frog. Bevel the toe and a good rounding on the rest of the foot. Very rarely if ever will I take a foot forward, a lot of distortion can be removed by rounding the foot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Well, since young foals feet all look like hinds at first, addressing the heels is foremost IMO. If there is any sort of flare the foot does go forward and is addressed and dressed.:cool:
  4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes, I trimmed 1 foal tonite; just excellent balanced out feet; and a TB too.......you should take the foot forward always; not to rasp; but to train for clinching in the future. so many don't; and are good to shoe; UNTIL you go to clinch it; since it has never been taught that after we go one way we then lift our feet. the foal is not 4 months old and knows both front and hinds to lift up just like in clinching and not afraid to do it.

ps always rub their legs both ways when shoeing to get them use to having their legs played with by the farrier; very important lessons. I rather train a foal and take my time; for latter I might be shoeing it; and with my small amount of training; I have less trouble in it first pair of shoes.
  5. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I usually give a rub of a wire brush, back up the heels and round off the wall. I trim 120 tb foals here, they are done every 4 weeks if no problems so very little to take off. I watch them walk and assess them every week.
    How many of you drop medially/laterally to correct angular limb deformities? I do in cases that are not severe enough for extensions and also move the breakover medially or laterally to try change foot fight. I know the likes of o grady will say not to drop medially or laterally but ive always had good results using that method.
    Platerforge how many foals do you generally have to trim that you can spend so much time worrying about training. Im not disagreeing with what your saying it would help in the long run but I generally have twenty nine more to dress that morning so don't have time to spend doing anything other than whats necessary.
  6. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

level heels, box toes @4 weeks. 3 years ya got what ya got.
  7. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

So you dont believe in any corrective measures at all in foals?
  8. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Did I say that? Yur problems are man made. Bad breeding. or bad farriert(y)? Not picking a fight w/a cert! But get ur head out of the spinchter.......
  9. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Thats exactly what it sounded like ya said Jay.
    The problems are breeding as they usually are in tb foals and on our farm they're also feeding related so yea all man made I suppose. How is my head in the spinchter?
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

not many now; have been offered; but turn them downm and it was recently. it is that they are never touched until a tb yearling for the sales; not halter broke or feet ever touched. I only trim/shoe for private breeders that do 1 or 2 foals a year. my biggest was the 52 arab egyptian breeding farm; before I became in foal myself!!..LOL..
    David if they are handled every 4 weeks you don't have issues when shoeing; it's when they don't touch them at all or twice a year if that.
    I have done foal extentions and I have on "rare" occasions dropped medially/laterally to correct angular limb deformities; and it does help; if nothing else is working.

I train the foals; because usually I am their farrier for the rest of their lives have a pic to prove that somewhere; she's 21 years old now and she know no one else but me. or the others till they go off to be sold in the yearling or 2 years old in training.
  11. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

In that situation with a private breeder that makes sense. I know your right it would make life easier down the line but I suppose its part time and part laziness on my behalf. All the studs ive worked on in the past have reared for sales so ive never gotten to do any long term like that. Here is the first place where il be looking after them for as long as i stay. I've also travelled a lot so havent been more than two years in one place since I qualified or should I say went out on my own in case I upset the anti qualificationists. But every stud ive worked on has dropped medially/laterally to correct limbs.
    It was the norm where I trained in Ireland to pull them in as 3 year olds untouched for sales(national hunt), so i know exactly where your comin from its not worth the hassle.