Trimming the Bars

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by David Van Hook, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Offline

David Van Hook Member

Looking at this thread this morning got me to thinking about a video put out by ELPO that I watched a little while ago. I'd link the video but it's 30 minutes worth of trimming one foot and, you've probably all seen it anyway.

Anyhow, in the video Mr. Ovnicek (sp?) says always trim the bars till the black line disappears. Anytime I hear someone say always or never, I pay attention. So I got to checking my own work and I don't always agree with that statement.

Then while looking at the July contest thread I mentioned, I noticed you guys don't either. So, my question is, what criteria do you all use to decide when the bars are properly trimmed?

Do you have a set criteria or do you just trim it till it looks right to you?

Thanks
    David
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

David,

I agree with you. "It Depends" is my guiding principle. I do think it is possible to 'explore' those black lines by using a very narrow bladed hoof knife or curette or slim dental pick both of which I keep on hand. Because, to me, that black line might contain pathogenic material, I do make an effort to remove it and if that is not within my 'comfort zone', then I at least treat the area with hydrogen peroxide and brush it with a clean soft wire brush, followed by the application of an anti-bacterial /anti-fungal topical.
  3. Offline

George Spear Member

When I am in a bar and have problems I apply a strong solution of Grain Alcohol until the problem is resolved.

Oh wait a minute you are talking about the bars in the solar surface of the foot!

I do what Rick said.
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

If I couldn't figure out what to do with the bars I would call Rick Burten. :)
  5. Offline

David Van Hook Member

Mr. Spear,

While that is good advice, it concerns both the wrong kind of bar and the wrong kind of trim. :eek:

Mr. Bloomer,

I didn't say I couldn't figure it out, however, I try to to seek opinions from people who I consider to have more experience or knowledge. I just wanted to see what you guys thought on the matter.

Thanks for the advice though
    David
  6. Offline

I didn't mean to imply that YOU couldn't figure it out. I have Rick Burten on speed dial.

Also on speed dial Tom Stovall, Dave Duckett, Ray Steel, Eric Russel, and a bunch of other farriers you'll never see on a forum.

No man is an island
    No man stands alone
  7. Offline

George Spear Member

I try and stay in the bar as long as I can. Generally until last call.

OTOH I found it much more useful to spend lots of time with Gene to figure out his ideas on grooming the bars. All videos to me are 2 dimensional. I'm the guy at clinics that has to run up and touch the feet when the clinican allows you to do so. There is something about handling the feet in real time when I can get in the presence of really top farriers like Gene O, Pat Reilly, Jaye Perry, Tom Bloomer, Rick Burten, Eric Russell, Chris Gregory, Bruce Matthews and others who I have had the privledge to watch shoe that brings great clarity.

I try and return the favor and have the welcome mat out to any farrier or student who wants a better grasp of the NB principles to come for a visit. I have a big farmhouse in lovely southwestern maine.
  8. Offline

Thanks for the flowers, George, but I'm not a top farrier. Like you, I've been around enough of them that some of it rubs off. But I still use my speed dial to call other farriers and bounce ideas. When farriers start calling me for shoeing advice then maybe I'll feel like I have arrived.
  9. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Have enough designer trims been created that we're now moving on to designer bar trims?
  10. Offline

What are the royalties on Russell Bar Sculpting (TM) - patent pending? :D
  11. Offline

David Van Hook Member

I completely agree, that's why I put this thread out there.

Thanks
    David
  12. Offline

David Van Hook Member

I couldn't agree more, that's one of the things that made Mr. Perry's Clinic so great. Everyone was handling feet, helping set up the x rays, talking one on one with the Vet and others who were presenting. That's also why I have been in contact with him several times and been to see him since. He may not throw fish at you but, you definitely won't walk away without having an idea of how to catch the fish you're after. He even answers my stupid questions.

Thanks
    David
  13. Offline

David Van Hook Member

Why does it have to be a "designer" bar trim? My question stemmed from the fact that he stated a hard and fast rule "always trim the bars till the black line is gone". Personally, I don't agree with always and I wanted to get some other opinions.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.
    David
  14. Offline

George Spear Member

Gene has no hard and fast "rules" he talks about guidelines. A guideline is what one "usually" does. Rules you must follow. Guidelines have exceptions. In NB we dont like the words like always or never. We prefer usually and it depends.

Generally I do follow black deposits under bars and try and get air to them but I try not to get into anything that may be important to the horse and have a blood supply. Learned that from riding with Gene.