Uri Hofi/Tom Clark hammers

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Anybody using these style hammers? They're the ones with the kinda stubby looking heads and short handles.
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Not if they were free :)
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I ve not used either of them , but in some ways I see similarities to the cats head hammer (usa style ) and the engineer hammers that i ve seen smiths use in the past.

ray
  4. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

What's wrong with them?
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I have a Tom Clark. It's good for shaping, not so much for turning, but you can do it. I mostly use it as a clipping hammer. It's well made and balanced, I just prefer my Flatland Forge and Mustads for shoe making.

Regards
  6. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

think in terms of a rock tied to a too short stick. I always felt like a caveman when using it, no finesse/no whip action. I decided if I was going to forge anything, that hard, I would just walk over 2 steps and turn on the power hammer.
  7. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I was thinking about buying one. I like the way they look but of course how they look has nothing to do with how they function.
  8. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Go to a blacksmith site like Iforgeiron.com Its a different way of useing a hammer.
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Here is what I think, the short handle means the lever from the handle is lost, the head is heavier as a consequence. I found that I could not lock my wrist and keep the head speed up as I swung the hammer, I could however bring it up and down perpendicular to the shoe, which made me feel like someone in there first day in the forge ever. I am never a fan of spending money to make the job harder. Others may have different views.
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

I think that if you have power available to you the power hammer is the way to go.........why else would the almighty have invented it but .............

Draftshoer,

I remember that Bud Beaston (Oklahoma Farriers College) had a power hammer(Little Giant) and also used an 8 lb. sledge with about a 12 to 14 inch handle for making Saddlebred , TWH , draft shoes.
    When using the sledge his hammer swing was very different than with the turning hammer, it was more of a shoulder and upper body motion vs a arm swing and was kept close to his body, and could manually move alot of steel.

I m guessing that the heavy headed short handle hammers were/are the answer for the non powered shop or traditionalist smith.
    regards

Ray