Vettec superfast

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Offline

Tejun Member

If I'm getting the bottles at around $30, how much should I charge for cracking a bottle?

Let's break it down, opening a bottle and using the whole thing for shoes. Super fast.

Or just opening it and using a little for a crack.

I know retailers get hundred percent so that would be $60.

But I'm not sure if I should charge like a retailer?
  2. Offline

slowshoe Member

You've got to think about the tips too. But I set my price at $10 and inch. Although it sounds like the punchline to an inapropriate joke, its not a bad idea to price it like that. The bottle even comes with hash marks every inch so you can see your use. You need the 'pro-gun' in order to see it without taking it out of the gun though. Vettec could solve this problem by making it visible from the front instead of only the side though. Basically if I use it I charge by the inch even its just a 1/4 of an inch I charge $10.
  3. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I charge for the whole tube when I open it. I charge about thirty dollars every time I use it after that.
  4. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Just rip off the label right down the middle to see how much you pumping out without looking to the side..
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Josh and Travis - Both really good ideas, thanks.

Regards
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

A few weeks ago I was at a horse trials and observed how the vet that day handled the supplies that he needed.

A woman was sent by the attending farrier to the vet for a lameness, vet diagnosed an abcess, opened a jar of Icthamol, several cotton balls, several cotton bandages and a roll of elastoplast type tape. applied as he felt was needed and gave the rest of the tape, ointment and bandages to the owner, wrote the bill for professional svcs. , and listed and charged for ointment , tape and bandages.

I tell this just as another way of looking at and handling the situation.

Ray
  7. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I charge $15/mark Figure that way I cover tips, boards, copper sulfate. . Able to only charge for what i use AHS don't have to explain why it may vary one shoeing to the next. have charge enough to pay for that tube, buy the next and make a profit for carrying it on the truck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  8. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

If you'r only charging for what the supplies cost, then you should only charge about $15 for a full shoeing.
    When using things like Vetec, you need to charge for knowing about it, knowing how to apply it, and knowing that it will fix what you're trying to fix.
    I usually go about double what it costs.
  9. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Think about what Bill wrote. Did you charge for the cleanup time? What about the finish up time?
  10. Offline

Layne Member

I double it as well .. I do to use urethane glues but I do use a lot of equipak ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  11. Offline

Layne Member

I meant I don't use urethane glues .. App crashes when I try to edit post :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  12. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

I have charged the Vettech products out at a tube inch rate for a few years now.. used to charge 10 bucks, went to 15 this year.... with a 15 dollar minimum no matter how little you use, it will get you back $75-$100 bucks a tube and keep you ahead of your actual costs, (tips, foam, TIME!)

Really like the product, but want to be sure that the Vettech boys aren't the only ones I'm working for.... :(

Dave
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I have used it once in the last 18 months on a foal extention. Goes like that then I will use lots another year.
  14. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

I charge $90/tube/or 2 feet, $45/half tube/or 1 hoof/ or fix a crack, etc.

Way i figure... A tube cost $30. I took thirty dollars out of my pocket to pay for it so I'm "in the hole" $30 not including tax and shipping of that item which would be a little more, the next $30 is labor cost cause how ever you look at it, it takes time to apply it and we shouldn't be applying it for free and the expense of other materials like foam boards, tips, etc, cost money too. The last $30 is profit to buy more product, without digging in my own pocket to do so.

If you charge $60, I think your doing it for free and only making enough to buy more product. Breaking even. Or that's the way I look at it...
  15. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

I find doing a itemize bill works well for the clients to grasp why cost as such.. x amount of vet tec..$60.. two mixing tips $5..two foam board $5..two honey comb pads riveted to shoes $15..misc material $5 ..labor $30.. I have found the more I keep things just like a business the clients can understand what they are being charged for they come off the money so much easier. ..I even do it for shoe mods if its asked for by the clients or vet..if I take it upon myself to do mods I dont charge for it..at one point I had set charge because I was told thats how its done and on extrss I did not break it down and more often than not I found myself having to explain the up charge due to clients asking why the extras..clients go into tractor supply and see pads for $2 bucks a pad and then get a up charge for 20bucks for pads just added to the normal shoe job they tend to wonder why..because they dont see the extra labor they dont see the hoof packing under the pads nor the copper rivets..I have heard farriers say oh my clients have money so its no issues. .I call bullshat I find the more money they have the more they question the bill..I got a horse Iin from the hamptons and the bill went to park avenue new york hell I thought that park was just a place on a monopoly board but them damn folks called anytime the horse got done a week earlier or the bill went up a little and they wanted to know why ..at first I thought well maybe the mom is concerned about the horse ..but they never called if the bill went down only up..my normal charge covers 4 shoes hot shod with or without clips ..lunge before and after. And thrush treatment if needed or not..this is just what I have found that works for me..it may not be best fit for everyone..to each is own.
  16. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Weird thing happened today. I applied the purple Equi pack stuff on a horse today and was thinking about what Cody wrote above. When the bill got figured out, it was ten bucks more than last time.
  17. Offline

shoe'em Member

18. Offline

Shannon Eggel Member

Im curious ,.. what do you all charge for shoes and trims in general , If im out of line I apologize , but I have been told by someone I need to raise my prices , iv'e been told im to expensive, and I was told the same person, that told me to raise my prices offered my client a set of shoes at a low discount ....o_O so im just wondering what the going average is . Thank You
  19. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

all depends on where exactly you are. If in the USA check the AFJ, they publish the results from their survey every year.
  20. Offline

Shannon Eggel Member

Thank you