What do you see?

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Dave Murray, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Offline

Dave Murray Member

2. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Looks like some medial displacement and been that way for a while by the calcification on the medial wing. I see an oblique lateral rad but no ringbone. Looks like some pretty good jamming on the medial side, are his heels sheared? Conformation may have finally done him in.
  3. Offline

Dave Murray Member

Thanks Justin,Heels were not sheared real bad, she;s been barefoot the last few years. clyde TB cross. narrow chest and real straight in the shoulder.
    She has never done any real work, just some pleasure riding and some trails.i,am going out to that stable in a coulpe days I'll get some pictures of her feet.
  4. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Just curious, the date on the radiographs says 10/15/2012--are these current or from eight months ago?
  5. Offline

Dave Murray Member

They are from eight months ago. the vet that took these x rays said she couldn't find anything wrong with the mare and suggested it may be soft tissue injury and wanted her to give the mare 4 months stall rest.
    she gave her 4 months stall rest and after 3 days of walk trot under saddle she was lame again
    So the vet wanted her to get an MRI. (at their clinic)
    I was shoeing at the barn when the owner asked me to look at her horse and told me her story.
    Isuggested since she had a copy of the rads to get a second opinion.I gave her the number of the track vet.
    He is the one that said Navicular and ringbone.
    Sold her some isoxiprine and told her to get me to put egg bars on.
    She wanted to try these Ground control shoes so I said well since you have them i'll put them on and we can try them first.
    She sent me the x rays and I put them up here to get opinions.As there are people on here far better at reading rads then I,am.
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

It wont of improved. :D Forgive the stupiity of this question but when you say 3/5 lame, same as 6/10? and been that way for 8 months? or more? If so I doubt it will be a sound one again, as Justin says. Personally I would put a spiral shoe on it but it is probly a no hoper.
  7. Offline

Dave Murray Member

OK David,whats a \spiral shoe
  8. Offline

DeniseMc Member

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Offline

DeniseMc Member

10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Thats it but i just do it with a hammer and no wedge. And less lift. As a guide I will start with 12mm at medial heel, 6mm at medial toe, 3mm at lateral toe and 9mm at lateral heel. Just draw a shoe with a hammer.
  11. Offline

Dave Murray Member

Thanks Denise, and David/ something to consider for sure.Owner says mare is 60 to 70% better with the plastic shoes.
    I;am not sure she really can tell going by when she jogged her for me and she was really lame she didn.t think she was to bad.
    i.ll see her in a coulpe of day;s.
  12. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

It looked to me that on the video, after the horse was shod he was still landing and loading lateral to medial and still trying to 'brush' with his right front.
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

It was considerably better. Be interesting to see how the capsule grew after. The amount of collateral lig stretch would be reduced and shoulder muscle may be improved. But I guess the carpus was off set and that isnt going to improve. It certainly looked like the leg was rotating around the long axis. Still bless them for trying.
    For those that asked, I rarley adjust that conformation with the trim. The point that you want to reduce horn is usually where the bone sits lowest. If you remove thickness of the shoe a bit more integrity of the capsule is maintained.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Gary Evans spiral shoe...

pc.JPG

:D

Actually, here's one I did make...

spiralshoe2.jpg