what is a Journeyman farrier?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, May 17, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

2. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

It's someone who served and completed an apprenticeship and is skilled in his craft

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Thankyou, Thomas
  4. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

No apprenticeship needed in the states..i have never been thru the procedures so can't comment on the steps to be one but pretty sure apprenticeship is not needed here..should be imho..
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

The American Farriers Assn, awards the Journeyman Farrier after passing a test and also building handmade shoes to fit a common pattern...my best handmades would never pass because the feet that I feel require a handmade are fugly to start, but the end result is all I care about, sounding up a sore or lame horse..
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Why would your shoes not pass Gary
    dont understand the fugly word
  7. Offline

Christos Axis Member

Fugly is my work compared to yours, Smitty. F***ing Ugly.
  8. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Smitty, I dont know how to explain it but your horses seem to have nice feet that you work on all the time? I deal with alot of distortion from lack of proper care? My handmades have nailholes where they fit the outside of the whiteline and it isnt always like a pattern shoe someone puts in front of me...I work in the field with my rig as all I have, and my limited 35 year experience to call on..Vets now days are so sold on cushions and premade shoes that they forget basics that WE as Farriers deal with on a 6 week basis..????
  9. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

My response was in affect to answer the question "What IS a journeyman farrier" so not whether you have to be one in order to charge people money and not whether the term has become abused or misused.

A journeyman is basically an old English term that describes the process of professional development when it comes to plying a trade or craft.

You start as an Apprentice then you're a Journeyman prior to becoming a Master.

Or to put it another way you begin working under the supervision of a master and you learn to ply your trade.... then you pass out (qualify) and you're working for someone else as a skilled craftsman and on the journey to becoming a master at your craft.

In the really old days (18th century) journeyman was used to describe any competent man who worked for a wage for someone else. So a bit like "tradesman"
  10. Offline

Gary how do you think they come to have nice feet
    feet dont have to be ugly to require hand-mades
    its a combination of foot prep understanding feet
    fitting and be able to enhance the foot with the ability
    to make a reasonable shoe
    if you dont have all the other stuff near right
    the best hand-mades wont help you with a good solid job

I think to get ahead in this trade your strenth needs to be on
    the anvil aswell as under the horse
  11. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

:................
    Thomas here in the states we have got so far away from what a journeyman really is that its not even funny.. I at one point hated the thought of government getting involved in our trade as far as any certification would go.. now days I'm not no sure ..I really don't want our government involved in much of anything but I do wish they had a better system in the states in the Shoeing schools .....imo they is a huge need for an apprenticeship before people head out on they own..
  12. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Totally agree with everything you are saying Smitty...it is just a case of so many horses and so many wannabees that mess up the works...After a couple of sets the feet start coming around, but it seems just when you reduce the problems off they go in another direction...money related mostly?;((
  13. Offline

i will post ugly feet with kegs from here on in;)
  14. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I really feel that it is the Breeders that have created the biggest problems over here. I work on more club footed horses than years past? The Quarter horse industry has been trying to breed the foot off the horse it seems? Little bitty horses on little bitty feet are what the Cutters are breeding and riding now?? Horsemanship is at an All time low, Ownership has priviliges and they all buy for color not conformation any more?? :eek: