What is the weirdest thing you found in a foot?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Offline

Tejun Member

I found this today. Look beside the frog real close.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379388823.436209.jpg
  2. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I assume that is a mole?
  3. Offline

John Muldoon Member

It took an xray but the end of a rung off nail next to navicular bursa. will see if I can post it.
  4. Offline

Red Amor Active Member

Gday Muldydoon
    I found a frog in one beer bottle tops 2" fencing staple squashed coke can stuck in shoe dogshit hate that
  5. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I found a squashed tree frog once and was able to call out to the gal that this frog in this foot was real bad and I didn't think we could save it, don't know what we're gona do!! I got hit on that one.
    I've found broken glass, fence nails, wire, and once I found a screw that looked like it had been driven in the back of the frog and the tip came out at the apex. The lady said she thought the horse had an abscess as it had been in a few days. It was a hind foot on a mare that would kick, so I got a hold with the pull offs and ran away.
  6. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I've found maggots on a couple of occasions... that's pretty yuk :sick:
  7. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

small kitten smooshed into a draft's shod hoof
  8. Offline

Red Amor Active Member

Yeah several times here as well did you notice the hoof didn't smell as much as one would think it would
  9. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Jimmy Hoffa
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I picked up a foot on a new cob
    the owner asked me what do I think of them

I said let me takethe shoe off first
    I could not believe that there were 7 nails driven
    and not 1 was visible there were no clinches on all 7 nails
  11. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

I once found maggots in the white line of a shire and the usual nails, fag ends etc in frogs
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

On two different occasions I have been called out to remove a pail/bucket handle from a horses hoof. one time,some how the steel wire bale came loose from the metal loop on the bucket, horse stepped just right/wrong, and the bale went thru the sole and came out the back of the hoof. Bale needed to be cut because of the turned end for removal.
    second horse was the same result but got there because the bale somehow broke in half, the third horse was similar except it was a tree root. If I remember correctly they all happened within a 2 year period, and have never seen another like it. In all three cases ,no internal damage was done.

Ray
  13. Offline

grimwood Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380035870.355983.jpg I found this a couple weeks ago. I had to pull the shoe before I could get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  14. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

What is it?
  15. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Well it's too big to be Nancy Pelosi's brain.
  16. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Well of course. Ray Charles could see that
  17. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I've also found some railroad track stuck on, not in a horse's foot.

Years ago, I got a call from Central Dispatch, at dinner time, it seems a young girl was riding over a RR crossing, her horse had turned partially around and slipped his foot between the rail and the timber and got his shoe stuck. Someone had the sense to immediately call it in, in order to stop traffic and the oncoming trains. The horse never panicked, must of been hobble broke, just stood like a rock but they couldn't turn him to free that foot. I got there 10 min after the call. I managed to lift the clinches on one side, used my bob punch to drive the shoe slightly away from the hoof and drove my pritchel as a wedge to separate hoof and shoe. I had him free in about 5 min. Reset the shoe and was back home for dessert. I heard the Railroad charged that girl's parents enough money for impeding rail traffic, that she had to sell the horse. A pretty bad deal..
  18. Offline

ozark forge New Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  19. Offline

grimwood Member

It's a rock. It was very oddly stuck in the shoe. I don't know how he was walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

What's your name grimwood?
    I found a round river rock about the size in between a baseball and a softball stuck in a shoe once. When I got there to shoe a few horses for this trainer, breeder, expert, she mentioned the horse had been off a bit for a couple of days. I saw the rock as I walked up to the horse, called her over and asked if she checked their feet very often. I could only get it out by pulling the shoe.