What would make it better.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by david a hall, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

There is dissension in the camp and people are fed up.
    Lets look at the problems and invite some suggestions to fix them. Criticism has been leveled at a few posters, They wont mind me naming them, Jack, our crusty old antipodean friend, Just passing water, who ever he is. and our resident pratt Travis Morgan, who makes up 90% of reported items.
    Moderate them I hear you say, gladly I would answer!!! but that would take me all day and all night, they are as you know all on different time zones!! There has to be an element of taking responsibility for our own actions.
    I have a delete button and will gladly use it when it is relevent.
    I will use it when somebody posts something that is sexist, bullying or a lie. If I wernt comfortable reading it with my kids in the room it will go!!!
    There has been conflicting advice from people, some people want posts left to show how low some people can go others want every post that disagrees with there point deleted.
    Ray has given me the job of moderating, and a free hand, He hasnt agreed with all I have done but hasnt sacked me yet, However its early.
    So I invite you all to suggest the rules that will make you happy to post.
    Personally a good friend of mine suggested a separate section for members only that anything goes!! not visible to the viewing public. And a moderated section for farriery stuff, yep that was farriery stuff. I am still working tirelessly to make it better so time for people to self moderate and grow up xxxxx
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

David all i think is that posters should stick to the title of the thread , we should be able to say what we want , how we want in the relevant place ,but stop hi-jacking threads
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

I'm an owner and a member. Hopefully that membership counts for something.
    I would like the freedom to ask questions, comment, or praise in the farrier section. I'm sure other owners would as well. We all have an interest in what farriers do.

Ray said he can't understand why any owner would want to post in the farrier section. It's because some of us want to ask questions, comment, or praise the work.

However,I think owners should have to start threads in the owner section. And not give advice , unless it's about something other than farriers, shoeing, farriery, etc. It would be unfair to the professionals for non-professionals to start threads in the farrier section.

Is a delete button enough to keep on top of posts that are sexist, bullying, or lies? How bout provokation? How bout non-respect?
  4. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

You can create a new usergroup which requires all posts to be moderated before they're shown. Add those 3 to it.

There is also a way to give people a time out. You can do it from the front end but that would require someone logging into the ACP and giving moderators the ability to do it.

There are quite a few ways to control people causing problems.
  5. Offline

6. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

The 3 mentioned have never said/done anything to upset me but if i had behaved like them i would expect to be banned. It cleared up horseshoes when it was good in the old days. At the moment the threads make us look simple and unprofessional.
  7. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

Don't waste your time moderating and deleting and editing.... Just ban them and block their IP addresses.
  8. Offline

Jack uses a proxy server. Jack prefers being in the bad users list which still keeps him a member but makes his whole website experience horrible.
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

David, I can get you a good deal on BG Goodrich radial tires. Don't want you to be tireless.
  10. Offline

The off topic category isn't viewable by the public.
  11. Offline

Can't you block use of proxy servers? PLEASE....

Are the other dipsticks doing that as well???
  12. Offline

Nope just jac.
  13. Offline

So can't the moderators ban him and keep banning him ever day he floats to the top.

The others obviously are going to be much easier to stop!
  14. Offline

The options are endless but I get the idea Ray wants jac to post.
  15. Offline

In which case it's utterly pointless asking what would make it better!

It's going down the pan!
  16. Offline

LOL, no doubt and it will go down quickly
  17. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

There's your solution. Give a couple of warnings, then gone. I'm not suggesting banning for having different opinions, just for posting "nasty".

Regards
  18. Offline

I'd say use the rules of most decent forums.

Bad language, sexism, racism, etc, insulting other members, spamming & trolling etc.

Because this is supposed to be a forum where owners can seek advice then I'm also of the view that if a member isn't prepared to provide REAL contact details openly on his/her profile that they should not be permitted to offer anything that looks like professional advice.
  19. Offline

I'm not sure that's what this forum is about anymore.
  20. Offline

Indeed! Seems the owner is content to let lunatics take over an asylum !