white line/onychomycosis/tinea unguim

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Just got finished mixing up 6, 4lb containers of hoof packing that are heavily laden with copper and trace copper for a farrier who deals with a lot of white line cases. While mixing and packaging this stuff the thought came to me again that I do not hear much mention of this malady when I read things from UK and or Irish farriers/ keepers of horses. I have heard some talk from continental European practitioners, not a lot but some. I also note that the Irish and UK farriers often comment about the use of pads and know that pads are used a lot more in the states and continental Europe than in the two countries mentioned. I ve been told of a lot of fungus on the show circuit in Florida and that farriers tell me that a # of the European horses have some very stubborn cases. I failed to identify which countries they were speaking of.

So i m asking here, do you folk in Ireland and Great Britain deal with fungus in the hoof/hoof wall etc. or is it an American institution?

thanks

Ray
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I have known them to use formaldehyde
    6 part water 1 part formaldehyde
    brush it on with a tooth brush
    wearing gloves and eye protection
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

thanks for that, i d say then that it s at least not only American by nature.

I done similar adding carbolic acid, but i d never let anyone else play with the stuff for fear that they might go blind or mummify themselves.

Is it very prevalent? also, what are the other treatments if any? have you seen any of the treatments ,including the formaldehyde/water mix ,be effective?

Thanks again

ray
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Almost never see it. But I'm aware that some areas of the UK have it.