Who or what decides if a person is a farrier

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Started to relieve Sabina from getting put into a position of choosing me to go work on her horse and hurting the feelings of the rest of the cyber farriers.

I know that this has been discussed often, on many forums, but as John and I was bantering, is all it take is a picture, with hammer in hand to qualify one as a farrier?

If there is an interest in this thread, please remember, it will be I guess philosophical,

Let the games BEGIN!

Regards

Ray

PS. John, would a picture of a just/any hammer in my hand suffice and prove that one is a farrier?
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Maybe a guinness in one hand a hammer in the other
    and a horses leg between yours:p:)
  3. Offline

prairie farrier New Member

The difference between a cook and a chef.... The Chef does it for a living.
    Is it the same with a person who trims horses and a Farrier ?

p.s. Yes, I own a couple hammers.
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Ray the world is littered with people who can talk the talk, The cyber space makes experts out of the most literate and idiots of the illiterate, but I think that the dynamic of the forum sorts that out. Clearly Sabina would pick me not only for my knowledge and forging skills but im sure she wants my looks and physique to. After all trophy farriers are few and far between. :D
  5. Offline

I know you have the papers david to say your a farrier and i know
    you have to have this in the UK(y)

but do you have the papers to say your good looking:p
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Some things dont need putting in print John. :D
  7. Offline

Well i have never seen that face under that helmet your always wearing riding that bike:)
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

John and Ray I feel that if the riding stables in Dubai see this I will be flying business class !!!!

[IMG]
  9. Offline

Nice bike:)
  10. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

It's not like you don't have to papers in this country. Business cards and fliers posted at stables are in fact paper products.
  11. Offline

Never used business cards Bill
    i always say to the lads when you drop that foot thats your business card
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

If their puters don t shut down....mine did...... is this a cyber attack?

they ll not hire you, no hammer, no Guinness nor cadaver leg

Ray
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Ray don't fight it! :D show Mrs Steele she will at first tell you Im right, then back it up with a few compliments to yourself to lesson the blow.
  14. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I've had those when I tell them I'm a farrier their reply is: "Oh you drive boats!"
  15. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

One night at a gas station, coming home from the track, I had an encounter with a couple from the 'hood that thought because it said Farrier, I might have fur coats in my truck. I openned up the side and was glad to hear..."sh** Man, Dems jus hos shoes"
  16. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

LOL, at the Hoofcare Summit they had a "two hour" round table on "when to use barefoot rehabilitation in your practice". I figured it would turn into a barn burner. In two hours they never got past the question "what is barefoot". The last half hour ( it ran overtime ) the discussion turned to "when can a horse go barefoot". I kinda felt bad for the trimmers present. They really couldn't add much to the conversation. The discussion pretty much opened with the moderator pointing at our own illustrious Mr Burten and prompting "Go ahead, jump out of your skin". The fun began immediately.

Regards
  17. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

upon telling someone that I was a farrier, they asked, "So what's the price of a mink coat these days?"
  18. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Yes, indeed, that was a fun time. I'm sorry I didn't know you were at that roundtable. I wish you would have come over and said Hi. (disclaimer: perhaps you did, but since my Sometimers has advanced to Mostimers, I have no recollection if you did. :( ). I thought one of the highlights of the session occurred when one of the farriers left the room, took off his boots and came back in holding the boots and declared that he was now a 'barefooter'. Since he was a big, strapping lad, I didn't point out that since he was still wearing socks, he was, in point of fact, not a barefooter....... LOL!

By the way, when did I become 'Mr. Burten' when I thought we agreed that I am 'Rick too"?...........;)
  19. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

In certain circumstances, I think "Mr Burten" adds gravitas. Most times, I will use the more personal "Rick too", unless you object.

Regards

PS. I did come over, but you were in the middle of a crowd, so we didn't make contact. That roundtable was standing room only, if you will recall.
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I thought it was "Burt 'n Ernie".
    I've had several people think I was an Equine Assassin mishearing me say horseshoer. A fun one was when a couple of teenage boys panicked when they thought I had come to 'shoot' their Mom's horse.

John,
    Haven't had cards for ten years now, but when a wanabe Farrier finishes his/her two week shoeing course they just gota get them cards printed so then they are one.