winter shoeing process

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

That time of year is here, winter hoof care!

I d be interested to see how other folk set them up for conditions as yet undetermined.

Bill Adams, thanks in advance for your weather report of non icy/snow conditions.

Ray
  2. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Oh no Ray,
    Things aren't so rosy as you think out here. Saturday when I got to the barn it was down to 33 degrees. It didn't get to 68 degrees 'till about noon.
    My wife laughed and laughed at your post though.
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

We wrap them in a bit at this time of year. Wear out a few baldor belts thats for sure.
  4. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I start with winter shoeing packages at the beginning of firearm deer season, Nov 15th. Sometimes they need them right away other times I'll reset them without the shoes seeing any snow. It's worked here in Michigan the last 40 yrs or so.
  5. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

well give us a look at your snowy package then
    we don't see that stuff here
  6. Offline

Gro Anita Bråthen Member

Here where I live in norway the wintershoes are on late october/early november, snowpads I usually wait until desember to put on. Love the winter :D
    what i dont love is shoeing outside in snow and - 10C (or more)...
  7. Offline

NikM New Member

winter shoeing sucks. more costly, but takes 2 times more time to go with new shoes even with tapping holes with universal taper drill - 4 shoes with 4 screw-in stud holes each with snow pads
  8. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

This winter in Texas I didn't have to change a thing...... same as it is in the summer in this part of Texas........ T shirt weather for me most all winter, although this year there were few days in the 30's...... Sure miss shoeing in Vermont. Cold, nails frosted, shoe's looseing heat fast, anvils cold Forge running full tilt.
    I did put borium on draft shoe's for a mare pulling a conestoga wagon into the arena for the Houston Rodeo....to keep her from slipping on the pavement..
    my 2 cents worth :)
  9. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Sounds kind of boring, Bruce, but if you had just gone through the winter we had, I bet you would be glad to be in Texas. We got another couple of inches of snow last night, and I'm going to have to cancel a couple today because of the Fort Fairfield bridge and some roads being closed due to flooding. Ahh, mud season. Summer on the other hand, as you know, is a whole "nother thing.

Regards
  10. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

The weather clowns on TV are all excited because yesterday's snow fall (2" to 4", high of 18f) broke the all time records for the Lower Peninsula.

Big Freakin' Deal! Enough already!
  11. Offline

Ben Sturman Wanna Be!

Winter, what is this thing you all speak of? I didn't even wear a coat this year. Put my carhart vest on twice. Wore a sweatshirt a few times. I remember a thing called winter somewhat. It's already been in the 90's a few days this month.
  12. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Brian,
    Seen on the news that Min, Wis, and the U.P. are still getting snow. Guess it could be worse.

Would have used the "quote" function but mines broke.
  13. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Ben,
    Had a fat guy tell me he was in the south west once and complained about the heat.

Every one said "But it's a DRY HEAT".

He said to "Kiss my WET ass".

Don't take it personal though, he didn't like snow either. He was short though and his "thermometer" hung a bit lower.
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Yesterday, we had about 3 inches of snow(poor mans fertilizer) and 24 degree, I found myself asking the 3 owners that I was shoeing for, summer or winter set up?, they choose summer, hopefully they are right.

ray
  15. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I started pulling winter shoes this week, as well Ray. Got done a little early today, so I had the snow tires taken off. Probably a mistake.

Regards
  16. Offline

KyleK Member

I was reading about the different types of pads used to precent snowballing.. Teflon treatments and "air balls" in the pads that pop the snow out.. My question is.. Has anyone ever tried cutting up kids crazy carpets to use as pads? They are extremely elastic in the cold.. And slippery as all hell so snow doesnt stick to them?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
  17. Offline

ray steele Administrator

KyleK,

I ve not heard of the teflon treatments but would like to pursue it if you have any info. also, what s the kids crazy carpet ,
    and one last thing,

How slippery is Hell?

thanks

Ray
  18. Offline

KyleK Member

I read about the use of teflon in Doug Butlers Principles of Horseshoeing 2.. I thought it made sense because alot of snow equipment and boots are coated with teflon to keep from gathering snow, the use of it was not described, only that it is used to prevent "snowballing"

A crazy carpet is basically a sheet of plastic about 1M long but are available in a two person size being about 2M long with a rectangular hole cut in the top so you can hang onto it, They are thick enough they survive being ridden down hills at high speed and extremely slippery on snow and ice. Can be bought for about $2 CAD.

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/gamestoys/hello-world/

Its cheap, durable enough to last an entire winter of punishment being ridden down hills by children... Would make a good Pad material if you didnt want snow building up in your shoes!

From my experience it is a slippery slope into hell and one must be careful about the steps they take to make their way out.. So I would assume the footing is not ideal.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
  19. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

you should have kept that info a secret , Ray will be buying all stocks up now and screwing us over to make another few million LOL
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Kyle,

thanks for that info

i m not sure that hat stuff will work for the following reason,

my experience is that the snow/ice often adheres,freezes to the metal shoe , that some flex ,either in the bubble or the rim pad crates enough movement to break he ice crystals that form the snowball.
    but i ll give it a try next winter. again thanks for the info.

Ray