Worst feet ever

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Kim Turner, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Well I mean worst combination of foot problems on one horse.

This horse is probably 350 lbs over weight and these are her feet. Owner reports her being tender after being put on rich grass. :rolleyes: I've discussed the grave need to keep her off that grass and lower her weight.

Vet wanted shoes on the front but owner wanted to keep barefoot. I've been working on this horse for 6 months and she has been generally fine considering till this last cycle.

Left front. Club always chipped up when she is due. It's the main reason Vet wanted shod, according to owner.

uploadfromtaptalk1344957127797.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344957213590.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344957251492.jpg

And on the other side. RF Has been this way since I started, is actually improved from what it looked like previously.

uploadfromtaptalk1344957303167.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344957362377.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344957425758.jpg

Left hind Barb wire injury three months ago roughly, now wants to be more upright. Lowered the heels once and she was sore.

uploadfromtaptalk1344957504134.jpg

Right hind Was the only good foot now it's starting to dish, and she is off in a circle on it. Hoof tested fine though. Guessing is related to the "tenderness" issue when let out in the lush grass.
    White line was not stretched however.

uploadfromtaptalk1344957640747.jpg
  2. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Why does the owner want to keep her barefoot?
  3. Offline

Follows Pat Parelli religiously. Is skeptical of shoes.

I've just never seen a horse with that many issues going on at once.
  4. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

Walk away from this one, the owner is incompetant.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

I know your right.........

I feel even if she relents and gets the shoes, the mismanagement of the horses weight and diet will further the downhill slope its on and she'll then have the shoes to blame.

Plus that's gonna be a hard job without any help.

She has three other horses I trim as well. I wish it was as easy as just walking away, I need the money but not the headache when it goes south. :(
  6. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

We have all had that type of work when we start out but keep building up your client base and as soon as you can say you no longer travel to her parts and pass on another number. In this type of situation the long and short of it is you will be blamed for everything that goes wrong with the horses.
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

that's nothing; I have had much worse than ever could be; and racing
  8. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Kim, tell the owner, in no uncertain terms, with a straight face, that she needs Pat's special boots, all around, for this fine specimen of equine. Then, she needs to leave the boots on for only 7 hrs and remove them for exactly 1 hr (for those hooves to breathe, naturally) around the clock, 24-7, for atleast the next 90 days, if there is to be any hope of saving her horse. I believe her perception of Mr Parelli and his wisdom, will change very shorty and you'll be able to do what you think is best in this situation.
  9. Offline

Racing and had 4 different hooves worse than this?? I can't see that. lol

It's not so much that she has a bad hooves, it's the stark differences in all four on a hefty animal. I'm amazed she trots and canters at all. lol
  10. Offline

Kim hasn't been around too many AQHA show horses yet...
  11. Offline

lol, your right.
  12. Offline

It's always been a puzzle for me that somebody would brag because the same sire and dam names appear 4-5 times on their horse's AQHA reg.papers. Unless you're .............., the rest of us call that incest...
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

I wanted to take a full body shot of the horse, so you could appreciate the "size" of the animal...... But it started storming and She was less than cooperative at that point. Plus I didn't want to offend the owner, because she believes fluffy has lost weight and was surprised I suggested much more.

I should have said I needed a shot of her standing for confirmation... oh well
  14. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

I had one of these Parelli types a right pain. No mater what I did it was wrong. Her horse had lousy conformation, even worse feet. Desperately needed shoes, but no she wanted a bigger roll instead. Glad she is gone now, hard at the time.
  15. Offline

George Spear Member

I find most parelli horses are utter idiots for the farrier. And the owners are helpless to control fluffy. Make sure you are familiar with parellis 7 games and school the horse yourself while spouting parelli-isms. Dont count on the parelli people to be able head the horse properly.
  16. Offline

She doesn't head the horse....... She holds the lead at the very end and walks around the horse watching me. It cow kicked at her, and she started blaming herself for spooking the horse. I told her the horse knew she was back there and was just being snotty. I also told her if she does it to me, I will pop the horse because that is one thing I don't allow. She agreed surprisingly..... funny the horse didn't offer to snatch or kick out at me. But i've also "popped" it before.

Most interesting is how she tries to get it to lead. If it balks she feeds the lead rope hand over hand while crouched down cooing at it trying to coax it forward. I grabbed the lead one time and gave it a light bump and a click and the horse moved forward. Wonder what she says after I leave about the way I handle her horses.
  17. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

Gakkkkkkk! she'd make me crazy . . . . .
  18. Offline

I find it mostly amusing ...... for now
  19. Offline

Platerforge Guest

you haven't been on the racetrack then:rolleyes:
  20. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

At this point in Kims career, racehorses are not at the top of my list to start with IMO. :cool: