1. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

First attempt here at a Z bar, the shoe took me 65 minutes to make rasp finished. I wanted to do this in 60 minutes but I believe if I were to make this in a coke forge instead of gas I can cut the time down.

zbar.jpg
  2. Offline

By the way its a bitch to measure and get the center dots in the right place! LOL
  3. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

That shoe is nothing short of a PIA! :)

zbar.jpg
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Looks more like a "P" than a "Z" - make an "I-bar" shoe and an "A-bar" shoe to go along with it - call it the PIA shoe display. :D
  5. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

41135_1362729429853_312883_s.jpg 38574_1362731069894_7164877_n.jpg ...in use somewhat z bar..I know mine ain't much of a shoe compared to the others just posted so if owner wonders what are some of the needs for such shoe..just one of many

Attached Files:

6. Offline

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Travis, how 'bout some history on that horse and why you chose that application. Since you used a bar shoe and IM, why did you feel you need a pad with a frog prosthesis? Did yu remove the excess purple polymer from the bottom of the pad after it set up?
  8. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Rick, that is melted blueberry ice cream that was dripping off the vet's double dip he was enjoying while he stood over Travis and supervised the shoeing.
  9. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Haagen Dazs? Ben&Jerry's? or, perhaps, C(hoke)'nP(uke)? :ROFLMAO:
  10. Offline

Lol..luckly this is that rare owner that calls me when its a foot issue before the vet ..allows me to pull the rip cord on the panic button when we need the vet..horse came in out of a 100 ft x 100 ft paddock groomed like a golf course ..how the hell he did is a mystery to us.. the only thing I could come up with was a few tree stumps the washed clear .. I used the pad in my simple mind to help push the weight over the whole foot .. why the frog support ..idk maybe all I had on the truck or what I felt he could use ..not really no whole lot of thought went in it other than I felt it would help do the job.. the hogan das was left to wear off .. the back half of the foot impression material was used so I could mix by hand and make more firm by the amputation used in place of the 50/50 mix the stuff says to do.. I was lucky it worked very well horse stayed in training never missed but a couple days ..I truly felt a scar would be left in growth as foot grew put but if not know it happen you would never know it happen... Prob should told her call the vet ..lol.. then I could have set back off the toe and used a Morrison roller ..the go to script in my ares
  11. Offline

Brian Byrd New Member

Marc, How did you measure for this shoe ?

Thank you in advance !
  12. Offline

Hi Brian,

This was my first attempt at this shoe so i had no pre planned formula. I got the egg heart bar shoe i posted on here last week and measured it as being 5 1/2" x 5 3/4".

The first measurement was 4" for the frog plate, I folded the steel back on itself to get the width at the back of the forg plate.
    The second measurement i measured from the heel round to the opposite toe quarter using a tape measure and subtracted 1/2" for fully fullering. This too allowed me to apply a center punch for the toe bend.
    The third measurement was for the bar across to the frog plate which was 1", I knew this would draw with tapering down.

If I remembered rightly i cut 16 1/2" of 1" x 3/8" and put center dots on every turn, i realise there may be an easier way to do this. I was 1/4" too big in size so a few more practices are required to improve accuracy but like all of us I'm still learning!!

Hope that helps (y)
  13. Offline

Brian Byrd New Member

Thank you sir ! Ive always mig welded them but you have inspired me to give it a go. I think the very second you stop learning in this business you start failing at it !