50/50 fit

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by monty.styron, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Curios how many of you feel this is the only corect way to fit a shoe?
  2. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I think that if you do a 50-50 trim, you don't have much choice so maybe the question should be is 50-50 the only way to trim?
  3. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I like to get 50/50 from the COA at least, sometimes 40% anterior, 60% caudal. I get this set up by moving the shoe forward or backwards.
  4. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

It seems to give a decent result, but I don't consider it to be magic for all horses, environments etc. Since the foot (shoe) moves forward during a cycle things will change. If you have a talented rider who can tell, ask if they feel the horse does better in the beginning or at the end of a cycle. If at the beginning, perhaps it should be even further back. If at the end perhaps more forward.
  5. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

The third option could be getting them done when they're due.
    You bring up a good point Jack. I think that most of the wear we see on the toe happens at the end of the cycle. I do have several riders who notice "that they must be due in a week". Then the ol' cowboys who know it's time when they're clicking all the time.
  6. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

how about 50% to the left and 50% to the right , i am a big believer in the golden mean ration and use a Farmillo gauge on a regular basis
  7. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I would love to see this trim and fit in other shoes from n/b shoes
    before the trim , the trim, the fit, the finished job,
    leaving donnie aside
  8. Offline

I tend to shoe to the hoof,the leg and the horse most of the time this comes somewere between 60/40 and50/50. Ive tried a few different gages Chris but not that one. Adda patton left me one when she was out here years ago, used it for a wile but always ended up going with what i felt was write for the horse in stead of what the gage was telling me. Thanks for your thoughts on this guys .
  9. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Chris, you're a very bad man....LOL
  10. Offline

been shoeing for a few months now and to be honest have never come across any foot or any breed that does not fall into the "golden mean " rule after a decent foot trimming , the Farmillo rule fits into this protocol very nicely plus it makes a good hoof pick and spanner on studs , it is a handy little tool that slips into your knife pocket
  11. Offline

Chris every critter on earth falls into the golden means rule other wise they would fall on there face ;). Well with the excption of the tree sloth and aint they gracefull
  12. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I use that Farmillo gauge on just about every horse. Like you said it has a very good hoof pick. When I first got that thing, I measured my work with it after I trimmed, and was fine to his parameters. It hangs on the box as a $45 hoof pick now.
  13. Offline

mine was a freebie , so I dont care