anvils and stands

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Actually Rick, anvil weight can vary greatly. I have found mine to be 15 - 20 pounds heavier in the late afternoon after shoeing, than in the morning. I think they store energy from the hammer blows, then it's slowly released during the night, so that it's light again the next morning.

So is that a jig of some sort in your hardie?
  2. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

We've got a bunch of lefties on the board don't we?
  3. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Dave, I'll get some close up pics so you can really see. The rails are square tubing. What they slide in is square tubing, JUST big enough for it to slide into (next size larger). I cut a piece out of the inside wall to allow the rails with anvil platform welded to slide through. The walls of the tubing is about 3mm thick, so should hold up real well. The square tubing the rails slide in are about 20" long, long enough to keep it stable. The leg has several holes for ground level. The very end of both rails I put a screw into so when pulled out, it is a stop and won't come out further.

As I said, I'll get some pics tomorrow.
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

It's just a flat plate for welding, Bill. I can use it over the face or out to the side if I need to clamp something.

Regards
  5. Offline

As promised, better pics of the workings. Any questions, just ask. There are also rubber strips for the anvil to set on.
    DSCN1935.JPG DSCN1938.JPG DSCN1937.JPG DSCN1939.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Is it noisey mikel like hard on the ears?
  7. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Nice work Mikel . But i have to ask what size of shot did you use to open those holes ! :)
  8. Offline

Not at all Smitty, very dead. Monty, it is a double OO buck! Na, as it was a divider fixed in, I took a drill and drilled several holes around a marked area, then punched it out.
  9. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

10. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

11. Offline

I'd like to try it, but looking on Amazon, they don't ship overseas. I will look for some kind of teflon lub around here. Thanks for the tip
  12. Offline

shoe'em Member

I weighed it! It's 110# And you're correct; I'm not as strong as i think
  13. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I have a certifier in the truck. I've never weighed it, but if I remember correctly it says 100 on the side, and they advertize it as a 100 pounder. Maybe we got a better deal than we thought. Now I wonder what the journeyman actually weighs. I have it bolted to the stump, so I probably won't weigh it.

Regards
  14. Offline

shoe'em Member

You can always unbolt it! but then you'd have to find someone to carry it to the scale :) (Not me)
  15. Offline

Today was my first full day of working with my new setup. I was really surprised how stable it is. It's going to take a little to get to setting my tongs down and things because I had a work space under my anvil for those things. But that's just a small things. I really like it.
  16. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

I used to have a large tray welded to the back side of my stand to set tools and such on. I took on an apprentice and had to remove it since he was right handed and I'm not.
  17. Offline

I new a master that took on an app , the app was a lefty the master said if you want the job you have to do it with your right hand, he said leftys were to awkward to train
  18. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i can name several cack handers that use the anvil set for a right hander including a recent calgary winner
  19. Offline

Being a lefty, I think it's easy. You stand on your side and show me, I stand on my side and mirror you! Who ever the master was didn't think too far.
  20. Offline

Mikel train a half dozen app all lefty and then train a righty and then come back to me