anvils and stands

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

if you had not been wearing gloves you would not have dropped the nail
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Despite my last statement on this, I don't disagree w/ either of you (Chris & Smitty), as I hold you both in high regard.

I do however think that sometimes what we perceive as "feel" is probably closer related to sight and sound. Like driving nails, I can tell as much by the way it sounds as I drive it as I do by the way it feels. I also know that visually I am "reading" that nail as I drive it.

I think we do this more than we think in all aspects of the job as well, from trimming to shoe making.
  3. Offline

all the senses are very important IMO , I think that touch (feel ) is being overlooked as too just how important it is the job , how can one forge if they cannot feel the steel moving under the hammer or the feedback through the tongs , the same applies to nailing , clenching etc , I just cannot understand it , guess Im just ignorant
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I think the "feel" y'all are discussing is more related to proprioception. We have "sensors" in our joints and tendons that communicate with our spine to tell us where our legs, arms, fingers, etc. are located in space. Even if your hand was totally numb, you could still touch your nose with it while your eyes are closed - assuming you are sober. ;)
  5. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Ahh shucks you have to be sober to .i give up :(
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

So. I have this little cheap 55 lb anvil with a square horn that i put turning cams on . i use more or less as a stall jack .wouldnt want to build a shoe or evan be seen useing it by my peers on. but for cold work its slick IMG_20150113_044144.jpg
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I wish I could propriocept that damnable 1 x 3/8 moving a bit more when I hit it. :cool:

Regards
  8. Offline

WTF does that mean in English please ?
  9. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I have no idear.;)

Regards
  10. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

I'm sloppy enough with full use of my senses. LOL
  11. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Monty, I used to have one.of those. I referred to it as the ASO. (Anvil Shaped Object)
  12. Offline

COKE!!! and a big hammer Rick tis the answer to all lifes problems;)
  13. Offline

Going to use that .lol my son inlaw liked mine so mutch he bought one like it .i dont know if i have packed the deck on mine over the years or if i just got the only good one but his was dead and is now a boat anker
  14. Offline

shoe'em Member

I hadn't dropped the nail! I was just saying that I could pick up a nail off the ground with my gloves on. I could just as easily have said I could pick up a nail from any surface. And perhaps I should have. :)