Anvils

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AnthonyLawrence, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

2. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Spend your money and get a new anvil.The botched job in the anvils no works good.
  3. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I went to a new client's place once to do a trim and as I was getting my kit, he saw my anvil, and very excitedly told me he had just bought one from an antique store for about $500.
    He proudly showed me his new prize; a 50 lb POS that had a 3" piece of the face broken off at an angle by the step. He explained that the store owner had said that this was a very rare type of high quality,and this feature was on only the best anvils of yesteryear. At this point I sort of started laughing out loud and explained he had bought a broken piece of scrap iron.
    I trimmed the horse but never got called back
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I think if your past the stage of knocking lumps out of the ANVIL
    if you can treet your self to a new one
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

Guys,

The only new anvils of shop size are the yellow O'Dwyer 95kg... most complain they are too soft.

I don't really do that much work in the shop, just turn a few to keep my hand in and the odd general blacksmithing job, so hard to justify buying a new one. I am more interested in buying a new anvil for the van.

In fact, the only reason I went for the shop anvil is because it was free. :)

If I end up having a crack at the face and **** it up, no great disaster.

Anyway, got it up on a block now and will see how it goes.
  6. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

you're going to like it.....
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

[quote="Bill Adams, post: 10516, member: 59"
    As to my anvil, I use a JHM 125 lb that has the cams in the heel. From a moral stance, I will not use the cams for shaping heels, but they have come in handy for pricheling holes around clips and various blacksmithing projects.
    [/quote]

I use mine the same way Bill. But sometimes it's just easier to straighten the clip out, then pritchell, and then reposition the clip. I've wondered if it would be a good idea to grind a groove in one of the cams, just for the purpose of re-pritchelling holes on clipped shoes. It wouldn't have to be very deep. Maybe the best way would be to learn to pull a clip without sometimes distorting a nail hole, but I'm not sure I have it in me.:notworthy:

Regards
  8. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

:eek: You mean I'm not the only one???????
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

There's always toe clips . . .;)
  10. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

I use a JHM I was given by my mentor, he hated it, been using it for almost eight years now never used the cams! Rarely clip and do a lot of aluminium. I like it.
  11. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

When I said that about closing nail holes when drawing clips, I meant that a friend of mine said that.

Steve, I picked up an old Centaur Forge Farrier anvil for free and thought I'd sell or trade it as I hated it. My kid loves it.
    The thing about anvils is, you just have to be a bit smarter than the anvil, but dumb enough to have one.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Offline

Hahah Bill. That's a quotable quote. :)
  13. Offline

I've turned a few out on this anvil now and I just couldn't get used to that depression in the middle.

The grinder was sitting over on the bench goading me to use it... so I did.

I took some of the dip out, but not all, with the idea I can always take more, but can't put it back on.... testing it as as I went along.

I've got it to the point of still having a mm or two of dip in the middle, but feels fine to work on, so left it at that.

Then turned out a full set of 3/4 fullered from 3/4 x 3/8 and a set of plain stamped 14 x 1 x 3/8 to go on a clients horse.

Felt great, so feel no need to go any further than what I've done... just left the edges as there is enough good edge to do what I need.

So as far as I'm concerned shop anvil sorted, just gotta decide on a new one for the van.
  14. Offline

So I painted myself into a bit of a corner. Listed both anvils on Trade Me (our version of Ebay) and ended up anvil-less.

Just couldn't buy the blue devil, so under pressure to keep working bought a yellow O'Dwyer.... used one for years in Aus, so used to it etc.

I've had it three weeks now, turned out a couple of set, lots of hot sets of kegs and a few coldies.

Not as handy doing cold as the short sugar, but much nicer doing hotties, which is the majority of my business.

It doesn't seem soft to me these days, but I haven't "missed" yet. ;)
  15. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

George,
    I did note that his internet fake name is "ATEXASCOWBOY". Just sayin'......
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

George,

not sure that this is worth getting depressed about or calling in the authorities, i m presuming that the person did this to HIS/HER own anvil, not yours! last time i looked when you own something it s yours to modify or not. if i read the explanation correctly, the owner stated that he was made the mods with specific uses in mind, that means that he modified a tool into what he felt was a better tool, humans have been known to do that!

Ray
  17. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I'm with you George. It's like letting a '72 Malibu rust out.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

George,

for S&Gs i went to e bay to see what that anvil is selling for.......better than $860.00......... if i remember correctly it weighed 129 lbs, at your valuation from another thread this stuff if worth about $3.00/lb. . so by that $390.00 and probably less because of the basturdization.......

I remember gas at .21/gal, around the Boston area, 1956 circa............and i still have shoeing where folks tell me bout the cost of 4 shoes ,applied, $6.00........... but then was then, and now is now!

Regards

Ray
  19. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I guess just because something sells for a bunch of money don't make it good. 130 pounds of Crack sells for way more than $860.00.
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I got that one free a few years back. The kid loves it.