Anvils

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AnthonyLawrence, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Last time I checked it takes more than one person to make the price go up in an auction, I've never seen anyone bid against themselves

They didn't think much of your opinion on the website you linked. I thought the resident armchair farrier comment was hilarious!!:ROFLMAO:

I'll give you $200 for it, the worth of something in an auction is whatever someone is willing to pay, which generally doesn't reflect market value. I give $450 for the anvil on my truck, a chopsaw and a single burner forgemaster forge. The anvil still had the clear coat from the factory and cost $750 new.
  2. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

George,

i guess i missed what you showed me. Would you point it out again? Have your shoeing prices quadrupled?

Regards

Ray
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

George,

Norval as I remember made a tool, an anvil, from scraps, functional for his needs, and he was willing to share it with others,

in my mind your the one of the folks who seem to take pleasure in taking some cheap shots............ and since Norval doesn t post here or that i know of on horseshoes we don t get a chance to learn from him, for good or bad. That said, why do you even bring the man up since he is not a part of the conversation.

Ray
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

George,

i guess your idea of fun is drastically different than mine here,

i m looking to keep ideas flowing via conversation, yours is , it appears to me to put others down, in fact to the point that if, and i mean if , you provide any useful info, in my way of looking at it, you have provided so much crap, that i go looking for the trash 1st. case in point, the anvil on ebay, i know i could use the ignore button for your posts, but i m stuck in a little different position here.

If you keep bringing up folks names that you crapped on, in as you say ,"in fun", then i m going to ask you to leave. I hope that is understandable for you.

Ray
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

How much is a SWAN carrying anvil worth
    its like new can you give me an idea in Euros
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

can you describe that anvil, I'm not familiar with it, ie weight,features cost new?

Ray
  8. Offline

SWAN_Anvil.jpg

Ray as far as i know this is one of the most used anvils in the UK (carrying anvil)
    me thinks there around 425/450 pounds new to bye

Me thinks 36kg
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

That anvil trades new at Anvil Brand in USA for approx. $750. usd

450 euro is about $511. usd
    450 British pounds is about $715.usd

I don t know of anyone using the Swan anvils here nor have I seen them on the 2nd hand market, I did go to e bay to find a NC tool 70 lb pound weight anvil that was currently a t $79.00 usd they retail for $245.00 to $265. usd here. Usually a NC used 70 lb anvil will bring $150.00 to $200.00.

generally i would think that you could expect to pay 20% less than new for a anvil in good to excellent used condition, so I would say based on the value that you posted 300 to 350 pounds would be fair.

hope the info helps

Ray
  10. Offline

Thanks ray