back pritchelling

Discussion in 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes' started by gary evans, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I'd rather take some time working on shoe fit than drill nail holes for 25 yrs.

Eric Russell
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

jissus,
    that could get deep!

Ray
  3. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

If you're stacking pads, of course you should rotary back punch, but with flat shoes, why?
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

I asked that very question once once, he gave what I thought was a great answer,something along the lines of..................................cause it works for me.......,I still have no reply, nor argument! but I still hear people question it. guess it doesn't /wouldn t work for them, or they haven t found the need,

Ray
  5. Offline

Ray, what about that answer did you think was great?

Sounds like another farrier who hasnt the slightest idea why he's doing what he's doing.

Eric Russell
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Eric,

sounds to me like a farrier who has found something that works for him! knowing this guy pretty well, if it didn t work he'd be trying more and different.....he d call you,cold, if he thought it would produce an answer, this man shoes for and get s paid for results. and he produces!

would you suggest that he change because..............Eric or someother hoofcare provider doesn t like the way he does things he does things even thou they work for him and his customers?

To me the point is that there may be more than one way to get things done, I appreciate that a teacher such as John emphasizes a method, in sports or the military it is summed up as ,what you practice is what you will do in the game or the fight, practice sloppy and you will probably perform sloppy, but in trying to converse to the question of the thread, I m providing information, not judgement.

Ray
  7. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Ray tell me why you need to back pritchel
    when making hand-mades?
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

to clean up a nail hole that I misplaced or undersized, or to allow for some more pitch, is/are why I have back punched/pritcheled.

Ray
  9. Offline

We do things different ray
  10. Offline

If I were the customer I would be very concerned if a farrier was doing something to my horse without having any idea as to why he is doing it.

I would suggest when the answer to a question is because, somebody take a minute and try using that thing above the shoulders.

I dont see (because) being a great answer to any question. Not sure what you learned by that answer to make you think it was a great answer.

Eric Russell
  11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

no doubt

Ray
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Well Eric, I thought it was a great answer because he told it to me, I believed it and I ve not heard much complaints bout this mans work. Since he answered me that way and did not give a long explanation I figure that was what he felt answered my question, for all I know he may not know anymore than , simply it works. I ve tried it and it worked for me, but I ve not felt the need to do it, if I had some problem related I might try it if i thought it might get the job done. The fact that the question was answered "because it works" to me does not take away from the process, it s just info

I ll be sure to keep in mind your higher standard of interragation when I m attempting to pick their brains!

Ray
  13. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I guess it's this that got me thinking about back pritchelling. Like I said, I was always told it was a big no no and consequently only do it when I need to recover a nail hole that I have stuffed up somehow. Yet I can never remember a case where, when I went back to the shoe after 8 weeks thinking, 'oooer... what's happened there? Oh yeah, now I remember, that's the one I back pritchelled.'

Out of interest today, I punched a couple of holes in some concave, some as normal and some back pritchelled. When I felt around inside with the point of a nail for differences, they felt pretty much the same.

What we need is Christos with his microscope! :)
  14. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Back to the original question, I tried it a few times when it seemed to be getting popular. I found if I wasn't happy with a nail hole, back punching it didn't make me any happier and today I'll go back to the forge and rework it from the proper side - likely using both my head stamp and pritchel. Or I might just not use that particular hole.
  15. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I made my back stabber at college when I was 16, I still use it now, to clear stuff out of nail holes when refiting shoes and putting a bit of pitch on machine mades. It is like me now a bit worn out, I think we will retire together. :D
  16. Offline

gary evans old and slow

'back stabber'!
    hahaha great name for it.
  17. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Are you watching Saudi on 2?
  18. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Nah... Just got in from steak and ale pie and a couple of pints of London Glory and feel like a snooze.
    I was thinking of you... hope the thesis is going well! :cool:
  19. Offline

You could always punch your nail holes from the foot surfice
    just to save yourself time back pritcheling:(:D
  20. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I think Eric once said that he thought too much emphasis is placed on nail fit. Sorry if I'm mis-remembering this Eric. I had been thinking that same thing for years. Still thinking about it.

I can see where it could be a measure by which to judge a contest shoe, but as a practical matter I haven't noticed that it makes much difference as long as there is nail surfaces and hole surfaces are touching every where, and the nail head isn't below the surface of the shoe, or too far above it.

I'm pretty sure the horse doesn't care.

Yes, I try to make every nail hole perfect, but of course I don't, and sometimes back pritcheling will fix a bad fit. If the hole comes out too big, the only fix I've found is to make another hole.

On the other hand, I watched a highly rated competitor once pound a nail into an oversized hole in a plain stamped shoe, flux and reheat the shoe, weld the nail in, and re-punch the hole. You couldn't tell that it had ever been done.

Regards