Bleeding Crack

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Mikel Dawson, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Whats to report? let me think, how the horse progresses, any further developments, lameness soundness etc. If there is nothing else to report then great, a good job, horse no longer suffering. However I think thats a 50/50 I recon. If lameness persists then Im sure x-rays will follow and I hope the thread follows its progress.
  2. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

5414_1100208747000_1990150_n.jpg 4916_1080130885066_2649736_n.jpg ..... This one would not get sound after a whoops..or a small injury..little to no blood .. got a radiograph and it was kinda like shutting the gate after the cows got out.. a pretty high dollar horse wasted over a $100 farm call and what $60 buck xrays..hindsight is 20/20..
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

What was the time scale travis between injury and x-ray? your x-ray looks like a myelitis not direct trama.
    Im sure this horse in the op will need an x-ray soon and will already be on anti biotic cover.
  4. Offline

Can't remember the exact time but damn sure was not long David maybe 20 weeks or less..vet was called out and was handled thru that vet due to Reg vet was out of town...in my area smaller vet practices will team up and do emergency calls for each outer so one can leave town..I requested after about four cycles of shoeings that new xrays be done...I found out then none have be done before..the Reg vet meet me and this is what we found ..I'm sure this horse was on all vet protocol as far as meds and antibodics...we where shocked at what we found due to not much time passed and the place was not bad at all
  5. Offline

And yes you may be correct we don't know if it was or was not due to trauma or if at all what was effected and by what...no pre shots where don't ...everyone just acting on what the vet wanted..horse owner and farrier...after all it was a vet .. we will never know what or if anything could be done diff to change out come because not all resorces where used up front..hindsight..my point being why not UAE what we have and not do guess work..
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

20 weeks is a long time, plenty of time for the bone to get eaten away. Infection invades the bone and needs powerful specific anti b's and possible scraping the bone.
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

WHAT did Mikel do or not do in this situation that he disagreed with or thought may be harmful to the horse?

Different how?
  8. Offline

Farther out than inevitable.

Uncertain as it is uneven.

Butter, liver, onions and potatoes.

For wine is a shingle, and amour, and a story for your father. Alright.
  9. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

What did I tell you about using esoteric mysticism and metaphores, Tommy? ;)
  10. Offline

Give us today hours d'oeuvres in bed
    As we forgive those who have dressed up against us
  11. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

And lead us not into redemption
    nor is de liver de nile
    for youse be the klingon, the malodorous, the hoary, foreplay. Shamen
  12. Offline

DubelmoHchugh qaH.
  13. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

jIyaj

14. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Just an update. I called the place today and asked about the horse. They said it was going a small bit better. I advised on getting x-rays, but only got stumbling around the advice. The vet told the owner the horse may be lame for a few months, but I stressed they needed to get it checked out so I really knew what I was doing. Other than that, what am I to do? I don't understand, if it was mine, x-rays would have already been done.
  15. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That is disappointing Mikel, if you had to score it out of ten for lameness what would you give it?
  16. Offline

When I saw it I would rate it around an 8.
  17. Offline

Mikel, I think that without x-rays you should assume the worst case scenario - Without proof of the contrary, assume the circumflex vein, nerve, and artery have been bisected and P3 has a very high possibility of infection. All of those issues are "medical" and clearly the responsibility of the attending vet in regards to giving the owner a prognosis for recovery. I think if I was in your situation I would try to engage the attending vet in a private conversation and find out if the vet shares your concerns and is on the same page with you - considers you "part of the team." If not, I would drop the client without hesitation.
  18. Offline

Good advice Tom. I am going to have a talk with the Vet this week and see what's up. I will contact the owner again just to see where things are before jumping ahead.
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Mikel I use phrases like, I think we should have a picture of this to rule out a fracture. Or we can guess but an x-ray will tell us for sure. Its less confrontational than some things but im very persuasive and usually get my way.
  20. Offline

I can't imagine that any vet involved with this situation would not want to take x-rays as soon as practical. In my opinion it should be the vet making the case to the owner why having better diagnostic information is prudent. That is why I suggested a private conversation with the vet.

I have on several occasions had a horse owner lie to me about what treatment protocol the vet suggested, i.e. the vet said we don't need x-rays . . . when in fact the exact opposite was true and the owner didn't want to spend the money.