Bleeding Crack

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Mikel Dawson, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Mikel I commend you for not walking away, and helping the horse the best you could with what you have to go on.

If you did have X-rays what might that change in your shoeing protocol? I think you've already done everything you can under your job description.
  2. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Given the situation as is, If the horse continues to go the right way, I will shoe it the same next time. If the horse does not improve or go the other way, I must insist in a complete exam to find out why. I will be speeking with the vet inbetween and as the next shoeing time aproaches to get his thoughts on the matter.
  3. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I hate to say it, by bringing the Vet in & the xrays, it's all about having to cover our a**. If all goes well, it's peaches and cream but if it doesn't, it's the shoer who gets thrown under the bus not the DVM and the owners not likely to accept the responsibility
  4. Offline

Couldn't have said it better. I also think there are times when we all get our necks stuck out for us with our doing it our selves.
  5. Offline

The stable where this horse stood was closed due to the owners getting divorced. The owner called and asked if I would go to another place continuing to look at the hoof. I told the owner I would continue only if before our next appointment she had x-rays done of the hoof. I explained I needed to see what to do. She understood and said it would be done. She said the horse is still lame.
  6. Offline

Update on situation - I've been relieved of working on the horse. The owner talked with a vet in the area and the vet said x-rays were not needed. She has found a farrier to work on the horse with out. I told her fine and hope the horse does ok. Some ways I'm disappointed on not seeing this through; on the other hand I am a little relieved because I felt I needed to know the whole story.
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

thanks for that, lets hope it goes well for them.
  8. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Mikel you done good and done what you could and what you had to work with... With that said you probably don't wanna work for a lie azz client anyways... Don't know about that area but o find it hard as heck to believe and vet would tell her well horse was injured ...and been lame for x amount of time.. but says no we don't need an radiograph..sounds to me like she's got a lot going on with divorce and such and her priority or money issues..worst part is you probably be the focus on why he not better..cause I'm sure she not gonna tell her new farrier why yall parted ways...
  9. Offline

Well if you want to know the truth, I feel relieved. It was tomorrow we had our appointment and I'm glad not to be going!