Critique?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Offline

Tejun Member

Give more than 12 hours notice next time you are close Bill hahaha
  2. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

I live in Brewood, Staffordshire, England. So that may be a little excessive in diesel costs!? There would be better guys than me to help you that would be much closer to where you live :)
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

After you put in 16 weeks at Kentucky Horseshoeing School you can ride with me. :)
  4. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

You know this because......? Define "correct angles" and how you determine what those should be.

Veterinarians excavate, farriers exfoliate.......
    For a wet behind the ears newbie, you sure manage to needlessly put your teat in a wringer :rolleyes:

I take it you are not familiar with the Socratic method.

Ya' know what? When you're digging a hole in a pile of road apples and you find your up to the bottom of your nose in it, the first thing you should do is keep your mouth shut. The second thing you should do is stop digging.

I apologize for my short term memory and freely admit I'm to lazy to go back and find the information, si please refresh my memory. What certification did you get and with which national farrier's organization.
  5. Offline

Tejun Member

:) Socratic method, I see I underestimated Bloomer. Haha

I love the analogies Rick. The bad apple one I plan on using.

I am going to catch a raft of shit for this but here it goes, to answer your question about, Which certification and national farriers organization, I went to Mark Pain's and Scott Lee's Sierra Horseshoeing school in Bishop CA. After the course some of us went to Placerville NCC with Mark and Scott. Now I did some type of certification or something and I had to build a shoe and some other things and I got a paper for passing. I don't have the paper and I don't remember what it was I was building shoes for. I was barely 18 when this happened. Mark Pain is a big AFA guy and I think it was the AFA. I apologize for not remembering. My long term Memory is crap, well gone.
  6. Offline

I see you are catching on now that my twin brother Rick has allowed Felix to escape his cellulose fiber integument.

FWIW, if you didn't get a brass belt buckle from the AFA they you didn't pass an AFA certification.

There's still some crap you need to forget - like that "T-Square" thing and the "correct" angle thing. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Offline

Tejun Member

I will take your word for it Bloomer because honestly i don't know, I am currently asking Mark what it was I did, again apologies for not knowing what it was. He should get back to me shortly. Do they do some type of low level testing or shoe building at Placerville, not the full on certification test or the journeyman test?

To be perfectly honest, back then, I went to horseshoeing school well because I was raised by a horseshoer and that was what horseshoeing kids did. Back then I still thought I was going to be a big Hollywood director and horseshoeing was just the means to an end, so I don't think I was as focused as I should have been. My whole childhood was horseshoeing and breaking horses, so it was hard to show me anything, I imagine, looking back.

I recently met a young kid raised by a horseshoer about 15-16 and it was funny to hear him talk, because he said some of the exact same things I said when I was a kid helping grandpa shoe horses.
  8. Offline

George Spear Member

+1
  9. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

T squares work great if the horse was put together perfectly at the factory. I haven't seen that one yet though.
  10. Offline

T-squares are great to help position toe nail holes after a toe bend when hand making shoes.
  11. Offline

Why take my word for it? Only a lazy mind lets other people do the thinking. Go do your homework.

I've never heard of Placerville. Do they have a good anatomy program? How many hoof cadavers did you dissect while you were there? What about radiography? Did they have a library of images with various pathology? Was there a video library with slow motion gait analysis videos? Did they have gas and coal forges at each forging station? Was their director a member of the registry of professional farrier educators?

I have a client that introduced me to a friend that provides horses for Hollywood movies, including stunt horses. He has several hundred on his ranch. Maybe I could get you a job with him and he could sneak you into Hollywood on a movie set. Then you could tell people you are a movie director . . .

So you thought you had see all there was to see, then you met Bill Adams . . . yea he rocked my world too when I met him. Imagine a guy showing up at a gathering of professional farriers in a tie died shirt. Man that takes balls.
  12. Offline

I've always used a head stamp for that. Learn something new every day.
  13. Offline

What i meant was you can scribe across the toe bend with chalk using the t-square which to identify where you want the nailholes to be. The position can then be commited using a stamp.
  14. Offline

Tejun Member

The School I attended was Sierra Horse Shoeing School in Bishop CA, Mark Paine was the main teacher there, he is a AFA journeyman farrier. My grandpa chose this school for me because it provided the 'most' horses to work on. Grandpa was more of a real world experience kinda guy and book learning was something for evenings in the winter when the snow was deep. What is weird a lot of horses we worked on at the school were these giant Hollywood movie herds, is your friend located in Big Pine? In the schools defense, this was 1997 and I am not sure if radio graphs had come as far as they are now. They did not have coal forges at each station, but grandpa used a coal forge. At Bishop, we started shoeing horses around ten AM after lectures and exams, and did it till 5pm. Mark and Scott had access to endless horses, it was amazing thinking back on how many we did in three months.

No dissections, but they had the freeze dried horse feet with all the joints hinged and the capsule opened up, it was neato. If you had to count how many times Mark took the freeze dried legs from me, I would say I performed hundreds of dissections. haha that is totally a joke don't take it seriously.
    We had to read and know and took exams on the book called, um, Principles of Horseshoeing by Butler, I think? It may even been a second edition. What is funny is I had worked on uncountable horses before horseshoeing school, I don't know why grandpa was so hell bent on having me attend a school where I was under horses all the time. In hind sight, I think I would have liked a more book oriented class. But the Internet is doing wonders on that, except if you use google and you always end up on some barefoot trimming website. (does that irritate anyone else?)

PLACERVILLE is a city in Northern California, the professional farriers gathering is call the NCC, Northern California Classic.

If you can pull that off I would tell everyone you are my Producer.

Ah I have never thought and will never think I have seen all there is to see. Horses show me that everyday and even from time to time, a old Farrier like Bill, haha. Oh just a side note, my teacher, Mark, was Bill's judge when he certified under AFA.
  15. Offline

"bad apple one"o_O :confused:

Are you sure it wasn't a contest rather than certification? Regardless, if it was an AFA cert, there should be a record of it at the AFA Hq.
  16. Offline

Marc,
    Knowing my [evil twin] brother as I do, I think he was 'funnin' you........;)
  17. Offline

Tejun Member

It very well could have been a contest because as you said, nothing in the AFA website, but the site also says to be listed you have to keep current with your dues and well I have never once paid dues... lol
  18. Offline

Tejun Member

could it have been this?
    AFA Farrier Classification (AFA Farrier)

The entry-level component of the Farrier Certification Program, this classification focuses on basic concerns associated with safe, sound farriery, relieving the candidate from certain time constraints and higher level forge work associated with certification. The AFA Farrier Classification requires that candidates successfully complete written and practical testing, including the creation of a brief horseshoe display. This classification is not a pre-requisite for any subsequent certification level.
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

mmmmm, and the definition of the "Socratic Method" of teaching is What?
  20. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

noun pl. journeymen
      1. OBSOLETE a worker for a daily wage
      2. a worker who has served an apprenticeship and is therefore qualified to work at a specified trade
    1. any sound, experienced, but not brilliant craftsman or performer

jour·ney·man(jûr[IMG]n[IMG]-m[IMG]n)
    n.
    1. One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.
    2. An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.