Critique?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Offline

Tejun Member

Well when I was a student of Socrates, yes I have read all his stuff, well actually Plato, who wrote what Socrates supposedly did and said. Socrates is like Jesus in that manner, he never wrote anything himself. Socrates debating style/ teaching style, was to ask the opponent a series of questions, designed to lead the opponent down a road where he actually makes Socrates' points for him and Socrates never once has to make a declarative statement.
  2. Offline

Tejun Member

I think you missed what we were talking about. We, well I am trying to figure out what I did in Placerville back in 1997, and I guarantee it wasn't a journeyman test. haha i would have remembered that.
  3. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

"Dislike the game, not the players"! The "statements or points" not made were "points " of learning.... for one's selves...
  4. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

You know you'll never get over me, will you Tom?
  5. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Tejun they all teach in there own ways..some do by showing..some will post pics..some will go as far as post radiographes with explanation..some use the nice approach some are a little harsh ..and some are sarcastic/ smart azz some just piss you off..some just get right down ugly about it...but if you can deal with it and take the blows you can and will learn and you will see your Shoeing slowly improve ..ever see the ones that never post there work its because they can't take the punches..no matter how good the job someone will see something that can be done better and that's a good thing..but make no mistake about it you will be learning no matter what approach they use..if they get a rise out of you the more they will hammer you ...I'm guilty of that myself ..I love to get a healthy debate going..so just take what you can use and let the rest sink in to think on it a bit longer ..at some point it will sink in...
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

All his stuff? Really? All thirty-six dialogues and thirteen letters? Impressive!
    Never, as in ever?

" young man visits Socrates in search of wisdom. To the young man’s surprise, Socrates takes him out to a lake and dunks his head under water. As the man’s struggle to come up for air, Socrates holds him under. Later, after recovering, the young man asks Socrates why he nearly drowned him....."
    What was Socrates question and subsequent response to the question he asked?
  7. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Do you know where Obama, I mean Osama bin Laden is?
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Offline

gary evans old and slow

This is probably not the best place to admit that you can't remember what qualification you took, nor to be too open and frank about your personal history. There are far too many here who would be happy to bring you down.

Nor, might I suggest, is it the best place to come to learn. Your work will improve more in a week shoeing under the guidance of someone who's work you respect and who has an interest in your development, than it will in a year spent reading this forum.

Enjoy this forum for its interest and entertainment value and use it to maintain your standards with the thought of 'would I be happy to post this job?' but don't consider it an educational resource and don't take it too seriously.

And don't let them get to you.

Just my own opinion, of course.

:)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Offline

Tejun Member

Easy cheesy, how bad did you want air, when you want wisdom/knowledge that bad come back to me. "

I actually read that one in a math book of all places when I was in elementary. I love reading the discourses although it took me a long time to grasp the old speak. Haha

My favorite and last philosopher was Nietche and he taught me the most valuable lesson. All artists and philosophers should be executed. ;-)
  10. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

All I got was a patch I had to buy it..:)
  11. Offline

Good. The salient point being that in answering my question correctly, you refute your own statement that
    .............. I'm surprised that with you admitted knowledge of Socrates and the Socratic Method you didn't see that one coming.........
  12. Offline

Tejun Member

:ROFLMAO: trust me I saw that one coming, I just had a glimmer of hope you wanted to truly discuss Socrates and weren't trying to set up some pseudo intellectual trap. Although I may be new to this horseshoeing forum, I am not new to forums on many subjects and I know what types of people populate them. I love debating ideas and concepts. So forums are a natural thing for me to gravitate towards.

I was trying to determine if you were a moral debater. If you read what I wrote, and not take it out of context, Socrates never once has to make a declarative statement, I presented that while discussing the Socratic method. Not Socrates' entire life. If I was discussing his whole life, I would probably of told you about his last words, which is a declarative statement, he pretty much said, "I owe 'so and so' a chicken can you make sure he gets it."

So in the context of Socratic Method, Socrates never once has to make a declarative statement. "Has to" being key, his debate style which is defined, is a form of inquiry and debate between individuals with opposing viewpoints based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to illuminate ideas(wikipedia). While debating with the Socratic method, you learn this from reading Plato, the debaters would switch roles, but as long as one was the questioner, practically everything was a question until the very last part, when you declared something, it then became the other guys turn to ask questions, or in some situations entire groups.

Like I said, I thought you were going to pull that, but was truly hoping you were being cool, lesson learned. Totally saw that coming. (y)

One more thing, should we even be talking about Socrates in a farrier forum? It's fun, I don't want to get the mods angry for going way off topic.
  13. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

We can develop the Socratic Trim (and then market it to the BUA). It'll be so cool. You just look at the foot and ask "Should I take off more heel?" When you get to the top cert, you trim the horse in a toga.
    By the way, looks like the new guy is holding his own.
  14. Offline

Of course you did.....:rolleyes:
    ROTFL We were, in the context of Socrates, discussing your faux pas. And, you are correct regarding, by extrapolation, how I treat with pseudo-intellectuals..:)
    Yourself included, right? Or is it that you consider yourself 'a man apart'?
    How 'bout facts?
    You don't know me well enough to make that determination. Perhaps you should try to determine whether or not I'm an amoral debater........ And if I am an amoral debater, is it just with your moral code or with anthing/anyone who does not ascribe to my moral code? Or perhaps I am a moral debater but you are an amoral debater? Quien sabe? Wait a minute, wait a minute, It Depends.............
    So you don't believe that the vignette I presented involved the Socratic method? Interesting.....
    The vignette was presented not in the discussion of Socrates entire life, rather as an accurate refutation of your unsubstantiated claim and as a demonstration of a form of the Socratic method. Whether you see or accept that,
    no me importa.....
    As demonstrated, you are incorrect. By the way, philosophically speaking, shouldn't that be 'had to'? :)
    So, the vignette presented does not contain those elements? Truly?
    Yet by your description/definition, Socrates failed to adhere to his own method as you claim he never declared something/anything......
    Of course you did.....:LOL: Regardless, I'm glad you find comfort in trying to lock the barn door after the [shod ;)]horse has escaped.....
    Well, considering how adroitly I just brought not only the horse, but a shod horse, into the conversation, why not? :)
  15. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

He did say, "never once."
  16. Offline

Once again, contextually speaking, you are correct. Well done. :)
  17. Offline

That might be a tough sell as that group is wedded to the Hypocritic(sic) Oath ........
    The horse gets to wear a toga? Do the togas have different colors to reflect by which guru's philosophy it is to be trimmed? ie: red = F. Strasser; Red with black piping = Ramey; Black with red piping = Jackson; White with red spatters = Non-denominational/universal, etc.
  18. Offline

Tejun Member

Well Rick, this reminds me of Plato's Cave, clearly as far as this Socrates debate goes, you are looking at shadows dancing on a wall haha, that was a joke..
  19. Offline

You do mean his "Allegory of the cave", right? Perhaps it's time for you to cast off your chains.....
  20. Offline

Tejun Member

what does Plato have another cave?
    [IMG][IMG]