dealing with cracks

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by smitty88, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Yes 6 weeks
  2. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I have to say that I would be embarrassed if a foot that I had shod looked like that after six weeks - but I wasn't there and didn't see what is was like when it was shod.
    Impressive improvement to the last pic though.
  3. Offline

gary evans old and slow

What can you do after four weeks? you'd practically just be replacing the nails... :cautious:
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Gary my boss would say when he would pic up a job like that
    we are not the worst farriers in the country:)
  5. Offline

Joey Aczon Member

Gary that reminds me, I had a horse I used to "reset" every 4 weeks because of having shelly walls. Almost literally just brushed the foot and burned the shoe back on. I'd often have to re-use nail holes. If we went 5 weeks the wall would be broken to hell. Eventually an improved diet solved the issue. Although I've seen a few that would 3/8" every 4 weeks.
  6. Offline

Shannon Eggel Member

:) this mare was out to pasture , the pasture she was good grazing and she was being exercised on a regular basis , Her Owner had put her on a Mineral supplement to help with the hoof growth , So at 4 weeks she had grown out a considerable bit , at 4 weeks I would reset the shoe float the hoof at the quarters, and keep her hoof under her.True I might have just basically been replacing the nails but I believe that keeping her shod that soon caused dramatic results in the hoof growth and correction . I am still New and learning so what would you have done differently ? How long wold you have gone in between ? Why ? :)