Discussion of the feral horse hoof model -flaws in theory

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Points well taken.

It would be nice if research on farriery done by high skilled farriers was supported and funded instead of non-farriers.
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. You do realize that Ramey and Jackson both admit that they were miserable failures as farriers?

Hacks that suck at shoeing horses are seldom successful at improving anything about a horse's foot. What stands out about these self proclaimed hoof gurus (specifically Ramey and Jackson) is the sheer arrogance of their presumption that because they were failures in farriery, everybody else has the same limitations. They would have both been better off from the start to just go sell used cars.
  3. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I agree! What was the latest vet research? That hoof distortions indicate certain lameness's or something along those lines?
  4. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Tom, don't forget to include BoB Bowker in that group of failures. He was never a farrier, just self taught trimmer; but he did manage to founder all the horses in his care. He think he's up to 5 now. But hey, that means he's batting 1000% with his weird husbandtry.
  5. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

To be honest, I've given up reading anything pertaining to natural trimming and ferral horses.
  6. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

The curative nature of the BUA mentality faces a new challenge from the world of Technology.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I offer for your consideration, the Theraplate (http://www.theraplate.com/index.html)

Now, lets see just what this machine is claimed to remediate, alleviate, palliate, subjugate, dissipate, fix, manage, reverse, remove, and rejuvenate.

To wit:
    "Increases Circulation
    Increases Bone Density (>30%)
    Increases Muscle Mass
    Reduces Swelling & Inflammation
    Reduces Injuries
    Faster Healing (2-3 times)
    Improves Joint Health & Function
    Improves Balance
    Decreased Lameness
    Prevent Bucked Shins
    Improves Balance
    Reduced Stress
    Pain Relief
    Increased Hoof Growth
    Increased Digital Cushion Circulation
    Maintain Muscle Mass - Stalled Horses
    Warm Up/Warm Down
    OCD
    Sesamoiditis
    Improves Joint Health & Function
    Hocks and Stifles
    Speed Fracture Healing
    Improves Under Run Heels & Thin Soles
    High Suspensory Injuries
    Founder
    Laminitis
    EPM
    Bleeders"

And what is really
    laughable
    worth ruminating over is this statement:
    Say what?[IMG]
    Perhaps someone can explain to me how IT is used to verify any or all of the following:
    Pain relief,
    Bucked shin prevention,
    Reduced Stress,
    Improved Balance
    Increased bone density
    Increased hoof growth
    And that's just for starters

Its a wonder to me why this amazing technology was not employed to save Barbaro's leg and life.

As to the second part of your question regarding flares, the answer is, It Depends.......
  7. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

IT??? I'm sure they sell alot of those. Remember Geritol? :D
  8. Offline

Maybe farriers are too busy working , and have no time to invent cures and think up improvements.
  9. Offline

Mary Ann RaySteeleDaveHallEricRussellTravisDupreeReed Fan

At the risk of starting a firestorm, on another board of gaiter friends a "stacked " shoe fan posted a video of how the stacks do not bother a horse "one bit." And the video shows a "champion" frolicing in a field, in kegs, then being caught and put on stacks and rode to pleasant champion perfection. The poster is absolutely genuine in that he does not see anything he does not want to see. Not the distorted floppy foot nor the gnarled up tendons. See for yourself. And the proof of no pain is in the "tests" of electronic equipment they use. The poster genuinely feels this video shows "the facts are stubborn things." Which for him it is these stacks are perfectly harmless. Same goes for the announcers and all who choose to buy the snake oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2fAkGiNBHoc#t=0s
  10. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Once again proving that the heart of the horse is far larger than the [pea] brains of the human connections responsible for his stewardship. ymmv
  11. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

Horrendous and ugly.
  12. Offline

Further proof that all walking horses go to heaven. Can't say the same for those trainers though....
  13. Offline

One of the things about stacking that bothers the hell out of me is horses with stacks will spend 24/7 in their stall so they don't hurt themselves.
  14. Offline

Karen, that's no big deal for working horses. Don't anthropomorphize, turnout can be highly overrated. Alot of horses don't do well fighting the bugs/weather and prefer the stable.
  15. Offline

Okay, okay. I am somewhat claustrophobic.
  16. Offline

My area seems to have taken to this 24hr turnout or as close to it as possible. I haven't seen anything good come of it. IMO, it brings on more lameness.
  17. Offline

But if horses don't get that 24 hour turnout, how are they going to maintain their mustang trims? :D
  18. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

What a horrible video . . . the guy IS clueless. years ago a friend posted a video of a young black girl riding one WITHOUT the stacks and taking it to a Championship. wish i could find it . . . .
  19. Offline

LOL, why do you think the trimmers like to come trim so often. ;)
  20. Offline

Christos Axis Member

Eric, I do not understand how 24 hour turnout would result in lameness. Can you please explain ? My experience is that a few hours of turnout does make stronger and healthier horses, and I do not understand how even 24 hours, weather and conditions permitting, would hurt them. My horses are often turned out for days, weather and conditions permitting, and I never saw any problems with that approach.