Discussion of the feral horse hoof model -flaws in theory

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Yea, and they get dirty and their tails get all tangled up, and some like mine, lose a halter every 7-10 days. Which means I have to borrow a halter to retrieve her from a field, and do alot of grooming before I ride. Yea, no good comes of it! :LOL:
  2. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Christos, 24 hr turnout allows these feeble minded equine specimens more opportunities to fulfil their suicidal tendencies and/or the sociopathic aggressors to victimize the others.
  3. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I'm a big fan of turnout. Around me in the summer flies get excessive. I'm also in an area that it's either flooding or like a desert.

So I feel the added hours of stomping tires out their legs. I'm talking about eventers also. I haven't noticed any more lameness of pleasure horses that get 24 turnout. Hunter/Jumper/Dressage has move to it around me.
  4. Offline

I'll add, the pleasure horses which get excessive turnout, when it goes from a swamp to a desert in a matter of days plus the stomping, the shoes get very loose quickly. Mostly from the nails heads getting worn out. Loose shoes will eventually lead to lameness.
  5. Offline

I agree with the stomping. I don't think it's very good on their shoes, feet, or legs. I buy fly spray by the gallon. I only use it on the legs. A horse can take care of the rest himself.
  6. Offline

Christos Axis Member

Thanks for the replies and I agree, I wouldn't turn them out either with bad company or with too many flies. Also I do not turn them out in too much heat as I do not see the benefit in them frying half asleep in the sun.

I have no experience with a horse stomping badly enough to loosen its shoes or harm its legs, but I understand the point.
  7. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Mine are on 24/7 turnout all year. However I use fly spray often in the summer.

I don't leave halters on mine for fear they may hang it on something in the 39 acres they roam. So far no luck on them maintaining their trims. :p

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
  8. Offline

I use a bottle of fly spray to get some horses shod in the summer.
  9. Offline

I've always had a bottle of fly spray with me when the farrier comes :p
  10. Offline

I rarely see an owner so I have my own. ;)
  11. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Eric, I had a few clients who didn't use fly spray. I started charging them 5.00 for spraying their horses, figuring they would dump me. Now, all my clients supply their own spray.

Also, I read somewhere about farriers being liable for reactions to spray, if they, not the client sprayed the horse and the horse had a reaction to the spray. Not sure if it's true, but food for thought.

Regards
  12. Offline

Rick, June 1998, I paid the Vet bill for an allergic reaction by an arab gelding that I sprayed with watered down farnam repel x; I had sprayed 3-4 horses previously with the same bottle. If the Vet had not been working right there, down the aisle from me; I think that sucker would have died. It took 2 10ml doses of epi and 1/2 bottle of Dex to keep him breathing. Everywhere the spray hit him, he welted up immediately. I spent the next hour cold hosing him. I have never seen a horse go down like that. A couple of yrs later I heard that horse was in an experimental drug trial for melanoma. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but to this day I don't spray any horses except mine.
  13. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

This was published in "The Farrier's Journal" over here. I have to agree with the findings as the environment has a great impact. They studied horses in many different environments and found different effects. Like Rick I also find the final sentence a good summary.
  14. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

Geez . . . something smells rotten in denmark . . . . sprayed hundreds of Arabs over the years. i have to say it was the drug trial myself . . . .
  15. Offline

Dana, that was an arab training farm/race track where it occurred. I don't think allergies are breed specific. I was in no position to claim "it's not my fault; I do this all the time!" When the horse was "out of the woods" as they say; I called the owner to tell them what had happened.
    I never apologized nor claimed responsibility but after a short phone consult with my attorney, I promptly paid the Vet. It's funny how that when you to pay the Vet immediately upon completion of services, with cash, the fee seems amazingly cheaper....