Laminitis Donkey

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Platerforge, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

mostly amish do the donkeys and mules here; ....just a freebie...pet now all 4 feet foundered; but hinds doing well; just the fronts are still sore and need more work on. I took it on; since I was there old shoer in the 90's and this is a learning experience.
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

bth_IMG_4545.jpg

it took us 30 mins to catch these 3 daddy,mammy, and daughter
    and then they posed for a pic
  3. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I have a handful of donkeys i do regularly. They all stand pretty good and are some of the easiest trims i do.

When i was on the exchange the last contest i

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

5. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Linda,
    I have a bunch of Donks, mostly minis, and a few BLM burros in my practice. Once you get the feet healthy and where you want them, they will be the easiest trims in your book.
    Just don't try to make them look like horse/pony feet... they are not even close. I find the picture that Shane posted to be quite misleading as to where the heels of a correctly trimmed foot end up in relation to the frog. I find that they want to be trimmed so that they end considerably more forward in relation to the frog than what is shown. Usually about to the forward most edge of the central sulcus of the frog. If you leave your heels any taller/farther back than that, these guys tend to club upon you in a heartbeat and then beat the piss out of there toes and become little founder factories...
    I have made little reverse shoes like Gabino posted on the really foundered ones with great success. Most of them can be made comfortable barefoot by getting real aggressive with the heels and getting the junk toes trimmed out of the way..
    I have also put VetTech Soleguard in the back half of the foot with some success.
    Learn to love the Donks..they are great money makers and always make you laugh like hell...

Dave
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

2 new donkeys to trim tomoro
    should be fun
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

thank you; just what I needed to know.
  8. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Oh yes I have trimmed alot of donkeys..their feet are like zebras in a close way...I have some showfolks that just bought 12 zebras for a liberty act and their feet need alot of attention...come on M99!!! Elephant juice, knocks them out and then the Vet gives them the M 50/50 and wakes them up quick!
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I got into it one time with a Z-Donk - Zebra Donkey cross. I was at the farm to work on the horses only. The owner had left me alone in the barn for a few minutes. Well this bugger busted down his stall door and then started dragging tools out of my shoeing rig. When I tried to run him off he did not retreat. The owner returned to the barn to find his squeek-haaw tied down with me sitting on his head. I never got called back to that account.
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

they need a permit to own an exotic hybrid and certain rules apply.
    I am an animal rights activist when it comes to owning exotics and exotic-hybrids; they should only be owned in zoo's and exotic zoo type places.
  11. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

That's hilarious Tom.

Buddy of mine once tried to trim a zebra, a baby at that. Said he figured gel it's a baby, how baby could it be. Guess that baby put up one hell of a fight and didn't get trimmed.

12. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

My ground skills with horses result from studying the philosophy and style of one of the greatest martial artists of the 20th century, Muhammad Ali.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, and sometimes ROPE A DOPE. :D
  13. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

I trim 2-3 Zebras that come up every Summer..... The zoo keeper knocks them out and then ties them up before I'll go anywhere near them........

Dave
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Q: What do you get when you cross a donkey with a bermuda onion?

A: 9 times out of ten you get an onion with long ears, but 1 time in 10 you get a nice ass that just brings tears to your eyes.......
  15. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I have found that the teeth, not the feet, are what you need to respect, on the zebras and z donks i have trimmed. I've witnessed a Vet lose a fair portion of his forearm while showing me, that this zebra "was drunk enough" to trim. After that circus, I have only done them, after adequate drugs, in the prone position and with alot of rope involved.
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Like I said M99!! Zebras bite as they kick!! :sneaky: