Draft horse shoeing

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by smitty88, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

I know, you got do what wins. AQHA passed rules long ago against peanut rollers, but they're still winning.
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I can't believe I actually had one win the regionals last year and she was completely sound. Though I'm still convinced they have to be toe stabbing lame to win at congress or the world show.
  3. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Yrs ago at the Great Lakes International. a of mine client was showing a top notch Clydesdale mare at halter, shod with conventional shoes for driving down the road and she won her division. She then, went into the championship class, didn't make Grand or Reserve; the Judge told the client, she would've won, if she had scotch bottoms (butt ugly shoes, her words). Later, the client went to Will Lent's booth, bought a set of scotch bottoms +pads, charged the Judge and in front of God and everybody, she threw the shoes/pads at his feet, and asked him if she could win the Championship now. Everyone but the Judge had a good laugh but nothing changed. That client never went to any other big shows, would only show at her county fair after that. The mare produced half dozen nice colts, continued to be a good sound pleasure driving horse til her death at 24.
  4. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Yep. Thus is the world of draft shows. Never mind how much natural ability a horse has, it will lose every time to a lesser horse with scotches.
  5. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

might get to another big one mon/tues a big irish draft. if we have some time on our hand might video some of it
  6. Offline

gary evans old and slow

That would be good to see. I have a Percheron due the week after next - 17 1/2" of inch by half.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Gary , i have plenty of shoes if you need any , give me a shout
  8. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Son of a friend called me looking for a good farrier in his area. He planned to show his two-year old at Neb State Fair. He called after fair to say the judge told him he couldn't possibly place a horse in plain shoes rather than Scotch. I don't know why a two year old should even be expected to have shoes, but....
  9. Offline

IMG_0850.JPG
    THIS IS THE DRAFT I THOUGHT I MIGHT GET TO VID
    BUT A NEW HORSE AND JUST PLAIN BOLD.
    SO WE DONE HIM COLD 1 1/4 x 1/2 1st time to be shod
  10. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Good looking foot. I was kinda suprised to see only six nails. I do at least eight per shoe. I may have to try that on my next one.
  11. Offline

I should have taken a picture before the job, his feet were all over the place
    like ducks feet.
  12. Offline

owen 5.JPG

Draftshoer here is an Irish Draft with egg-bars made from 1 1/4x 1/2
    no problem
  13. Offline

IMG_0812.JPG

The shoe before I clipped it
  14. Offline

gary evans old and slow

That's a lovely looking job.
    Do you remember what length you cut?
  15. Offline

gary evans old and slow

i only put six nails in the big buggers I do. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Maybe it would if the were pulling ploughs or carts, but they are just riding horses.
  16. Offline

Gary 17"
  17. Offline

slowshoe Member

nice work guys. i have to say though i have not much to say about scotch bottoms and the world associated with them.

here are a couple of pretty average draft foot jobs. no hand made here, just bad nail lines.

Attached Files:

18. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I'm not a fan either but it pays good money.
  19. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

I went to trim a mini today and they brought out this horse for a trim. .facebook95-1195864845.jpg .facebook95-1814756212.jpg
    They got this old percheron last week. He is going to coosa valley, a renowned vet practice on Wed. They will decide this old mans future then.
  20. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Thanks Chris. I'll have a go at making them this weekend, but if I don't get round to it, I may take you up on that.