eggbars

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by chris bunting, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

just exactly what is the practical purpose of an eggbar shoe . we see them in the practice on a regular basis but every man fits them differently , even when the subject comes up be it with a vet or farrier you never get the same opinion twice on the fitting of these waste of spacers . is it just for financial gain by trying to justify superior knowledge and ability by calling oneself a remedial farrier ?
  2. Offline

George Spear Member

For most vets this is the default prescription for every aliment that can effect a horse. Dr Rooney's articles over on horseshoes are the most definitive works on the few uses of eggbars. They are great for suspensory issues but better solutions exist for most cases where they are prescribed.
  3. Offline

why are they great for suspensory issues ?
  4. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

they don't allow the back half of the foot to sink into the ground as far. think of them as a flotation device; really only provide benefit while in a groomed arena
  5. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

A good app for bad fetlocks also......
  6. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Increase the dorsal surface of the hoof support more/less 15%.For many horses,it works well.

A vet order me fix this eggbar.I don't like much,but the vet is very famous and expert.I obey to vet.The eggbar works well and the horse is sound. What can I say about that? Probably we don't know all about podiatry..

som.JPG
  7. Offline

Gabino i am with you on what you say , would a straight bar not have done the same job ?
  8. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Yes,my first idea was a straigth bar sho,but the vet wanted that shoe as long.You can remember I asked in the forum about the possibilitie of the mare pull off the shoe.But the mare is sound and she don't pull off the shoe.

somccc.JPG
  9. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Any links to that dr rooney article anywhere except horseshoes.com? I cant log onto it over here for some reason
  10. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I have had the same problem at horseshoes.com? Can't logon??
  11. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Gary, David, try it again. I was able to log on just moments ago.

Rick
  12. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

No good, when I got here first I had no problem then I signed up to unblok us.com to bounce ip address so I could watch i-players from home and havent been able to log on since. Its the only site ive had a problem with.
  13. Offline

DeniseMc Member

You don't need to be logged in to read the articles.
  14. Offline

George Spear Member

Dr. Rooney at first found the eggbar to not be useful. He later ammended his view to find it useful for one certain issue. "Henry, as well as others, have indicated that the egg bar shoe is of value in the treatment/rehabilitation of legs with tendon damage, i.e, bow, suspensory strains, deep flexor check ligament strains. My earlier evaluation suggested to me that could not be the case, and I herewith wish to correct that incorrect evaluation."

http://www.horseshoes.com/education...-mechanics-of-the-foot-and-the-horseshoe.html
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

That is when he & i had a heated discussion about "over dorsoflexion" on his den floor where we had drawn pics and had some 15 year old Glenlivet.......
  16. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I have said before that i have used egg-bars on different horses for a long time
    with good results
  17. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

While I have no problem with the math and science involved, to me, the photographic support leaves something to be desired. That said, years ago, Henry and I had a discussion about horses with Hi-Lo syndrome and he suggested I try an egg bar on the Hi side. He emphasized that once the egg bar was removed, the condition would return to its former level. I implemented his suggestion and it did indeed help improve the Hi hoof. To this day, I still use that protocol when I feel it is warranted and other factors indicate that the horse will be able to keep the shoe on. Generally speaking, the fit of the back of the egg bar is at a point where it touches a vertical line dropped from the back of the bulbs to the ground. I usually add polymeric support for the frog/back of the hoof and often use up to a 1/4" leather rim pad too.
  18. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I have obtained permission to post all of Dr. Rooney's writings on this web site, but the site administrator has never picked up the phone and called me about it. :rolleyes:
  19. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

egg-bar 1.JPG

i think the lenth and width are very important
  20. Offline

Mary Ann RaySteeleDaveHallEricRussellTravisDupreeReed Fan

Can excessive heel length in an eggbar cause stress on tendons?? One of mine had a high bow in an eggbar. The heel of said eggbar was in a drop line under the heel bulb much like Gabino has pictured.