Ethical Considerations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AnthonyLawrence, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

I like this approach. I think I will try to use it in the future if I find myself in this sort of spot again.
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

You can learn to see it coming as a pattern of behavior* with certain clients. You saw the horse through a difficult surgery and convalescence that many farriers would not have the knowledge and skill to handle. And in spite of that, the client doesn't recognize your ability and thinks they know more than you do.

* Extreme arrogance and an overbearing sense of entitlement
  3. Offline

David Van Hook Member

Obviously not, however, you know as well as I that there are no legal codes for farriery in the United States like there are for buildings.

To clarify for the "devil's advocate" in you. Change orders are for things that would not be illegal, it doesn't make a person exempt from the law.
  4. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

To combine several of the subjects in this thread,;
    I once shod a horse to client's wishes. As I lead it from the carport it stepped on my electrical cord that was plugged into an outlet that was to code, got a mild shock, and I was ethically able to tell the client that the horse trotted off better than ever.
  5. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

In my experience in the construction industry change orders are to make sure you get paid for the work nothing else. To show there was a change from the original bid price.
  6. Offline

Tom could you please post some case law where a farrier was found negligent for pulling shoes upon direction from the owner.
  7. Offline

What happens if you stick the horse, or maybe have a little sole psi, after the owner tells you they don't want shoes, but you proceeded anyways.

Accidents happen to everyone now and then.
  8. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

You know...this is feeling more and more like this is exactly what is happening in this situation.
  9. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I had one like this that asked me why I was leaving as I was packing my tools after about ten minutes at her place. I told her that "We have a Company rule that we do not work for anyone who knows more than us". It was sure nice to be able to just walk off, and extremely fun to have a chance to speak of myself in the first person plural.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

It Depends. Leaving a hoof unshod after it has been prepped for a shoe, could well be construed as negligence on your part. A quick or sole pressure can be an accident, not negligence and so long as you provide remediation, proving negligence will be much harder for the owner to prove.

No argument from me. But setting yourself up, on purpose, for punitive action by the owner is, to me, sheer lunacy.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I have had a female client screaming and throwing stuff around the yard because I shod her horse that she wanted left unshod. Im still receiving counseling. :D Needless to say I never got payed. she tried to get two vets to say I had caused the horse suffering by shoeing it, but they laughed at her, then three farriers were enlisted into blackening my name :D, Every time it happened they would ring me up and ask WTF was going on.
    I have to say if faced with the same situation again I would probly run :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

women get pissy like that:sneaky: ....when they are on their monthly period:mad:
  13. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Ya think??????
  14. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

that's what menopause is for . . . .
  15. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

...he is correct ..nothing more and nothing less..changes are made often in construction with no paper work as long as its not part of looks ..or money to change hands..change orders are addendum to a contract ..for contract to go up in cost or down in cost ..David is also correct compared a electrician to farrier is apples to peanuts..laws are laws not even the main contract can change that..... Imho best to say nothing other than yes mam we can do it ..and you may wanna pick up some hoof boots because its well documented there is a transition phase going from shoes to barefoot..and if you need me to put shoes back on please call..... Horse go bare everyday ..I can't predict the future..its not like ur putting something to the foot that's never been done ...I've had folks change mind right after the trim for a shoe ..no problems some a tad tender ..hoofters call that transition phase ...
  16. Offline

DeniseMc Member

As do farriers (from http://www.durasole.com/Durasole_use.html)

17. Offline

aliciathompson Member

lol Bill I love that!
  18. Offline

aliciathompson Member

In this case(resection/keratoma) I would likely say "we can try to take him barefoot once the defect has grown out but at this point it would risk further damage/demineralization to the coffin bone" if lady got crazy and insisted I leave the shoes off I would do so but put in writing on the invoice that "hoof boots are to be purchased and applied for turnout and riding until sufficient sole depth has developed".

In the standard case where the owner wants shoes pulled if I have already trimmed for shoes I can talk my way into one more reset due to the trim.

If I haven't trimmed yet like Travis I do not have a crystal ball and I have seen horses that shouldn't do well barefoot thrive, and ones that should be fine need there shoes back post haste.

I just always recommend a sole toughener, avoiding damp conditions/frequent baths, boots as an option and to call me if the shoes need to go back on. In these cases if you don't let them try it they will always wonder, and honestly I have been surprised how good soft footing can get even the flattest footed beast through.

I have one barn of 14 all barefoot. Previous farrier refused to try any of them bare. He got fired. Most were obvious candidates but one or two I seriously doubted it would work. Those two were babied sole toughener, hoof boots when ridden on rough ground, and the kicker was there 20acre field was meticulously cared for with many low places that stayed soft and lush all summer, not to mention a large arena open to them for loafing year round to escape fly stomping in summer and frozen rough ground in winter. 3 years later I have applied shoes to one in summers who events and needs the traction but the rest are arena ridden and doing fine.
  19. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

20. Offline

George Spear Member

I like travis' response best. Pretty much what I say in these circumstances.