Every Horse Today

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Michael Allen, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Rick I think the norm is over here 8 o clock start and rap it up at 5 in the winter
    average hot set 40/45 mins cold shoeing less 30/35
  2. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I hope so. I forgot to ask. But no phone calls yet. I think I did an acceptable level of work.
  3. Offline

I start at 9 try to be done by 3:30. I am trying to practice for convention or rope every day after work and I need the light . Hard to chase down steers in the dark. Oh also trying to get the gym 3-4 nights a week. Life is to short to shoe to many horses when you can be roping.

I think you are right on with your time estimates for shoeing
  4. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

So, we have 3 full sets @ 45 minutes each = 135 minutes.
    3 half sets at say 25 minutes = 75 minutes.
    4 trims at say 20 minutes = 80 minutes.

I get a total of 290 minutes, or 4 hours and 50 minutes, not including switching horses around. And your 1st year could do that by lunch time. In sub freezing temperatures, with no allowance for travel for "owner interaction" ( billing, questions, etc ) I take it lunch time is 1:00 over there, or your first year is a source of disappointment. It's "farrier math". I hear it all the time.

Sorry guys, it doesn't add up.

Regards
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

in all fairness the apprentice is most likely not doing any "owner interactions" and in my opinion they should not get lunch. In the words of a friend of mine. "lunch time will come and go without notice."

I don't eat lunch why should they, eating doesn't pay as well as shoeing
  6. Offline

I don't eat lunch either, Michael. Makes it hard to work on a full stomach. OTOH, it would be nice to have minions.:D ( Dispicable Me reference).

Regards
  7. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Same job in my custom would only make me $675 to $725 depending...I like your prices but I cant get $1000 for the same work here...too many cheap guys hurt my pocket..:(
  8. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Sorry Ray,
    My initial post was only to make a positive comment to Michael on a very nice day's work.... an "everyday shoeing" day's work..... I'm not the one that immediately turned it into a "you're not doing enough horses, I can do twice than in a third of the time" pissing contest.....

Nice, tidy, respectable pile of work there on a variety of horses, Micheal........rope on!!

Dave
  9. Offline

Gary,
    Move to Maine..... I'll set you up with that work load five days a week, give you $800 a day, put the other $200-300 a day in my pocket for doing nothing and ride one of the Harleys all day.... ;)

Dave
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

The math is different across the pond.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I think Ray makes a good point and thank you Michael for posting. Personally I can shoe well or I can do it quick, I struggle to do it quick well.
  12. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

What's that old sayin about I work three ways. Fast, right and cheap. You can pick any two
  13. Offline

I get the about same as you, Gary. $715 for Michaels day.

Dave lives about 200 miles south of me and lives a little higher on the food chain.:(

Regards
  14. Offline

Rick, you're not gonna get a beer out of me in Cincinnati because you pretend to get less than I do for your work!!! ;)

Dave
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Can I get the on that he s not gonna get? no matter why........... and you know everyone does not like odd #s so can I get the 2 of them?

ray
  16. Offline

I like odd numbers..... 3 it is!!!!!

Dave
  17. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Can I come, Dave - I'd be happy with that deal! :)
    I barely gross $600 for that day's work...:(

I arrive at my first call at 10.0 am and am usually finished by 4.0 pm in the winter. In summer my days are are a lot longer.

It takes me about 50 mins to shoe a horse, so I allow an hour per horse on a yard to include change over, chat, coffee etc. Pedestrian by first year apprentice standards...

Thanks for posting Micheal - it's nice to see an average days work from another farrier.