Everyday Shoeing

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by gary evans, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Well done steffi
  2. Offline

Dale Parker New Member

One from today. Only got these 2 pics before it started raining. I was trying to be mindful of covering heels better and not jerking clinches down. [IMG][IMG]
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Dale,

how did the horse like the set up?

regards

Ray
  4. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Looks good, Dale. I thought it no longer rained in Texas
  5. Offline

Dale Parker New Member

Lol, Mr. Jack! We've been blessed with some rains. We're way behind, but proud for what we get.
    Mr. Ray, so far he seems to like them (hasn't jerked them off yet anyway). I was scared to hang that much iron out there, but so far so good. He hasn't been 'off', but I'm trying to give him some more support behind. The other foot is the real low heeled one. I'll try to get some pics of that one up for critique and guidance. Thanks for all the help on here.
  6. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

Isn't there a joke about some visitor asking how much rain fell in a year and the Texan repy was "about 18 inches and you should be here the day we get it!"Last time I was there the gully washer was a bit west of you but the road from Guadalupe Park to I-10 had water across it every couple miles.
  7. Offline

Dale Parker New Member

The best one I every heard about Texas rain, was from Elmer Kelton. He told about 2 old ranchers sitting on the porch after a good 2" rain. One fella said, "Nice rain." The other old timer says, "Yep, but I seen a bad drought start just like this!"
  8. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

So I suspect you've read "the Time it Never Rained" - good book
  9. Offline

Tejun Member

A shoe I made today. Sorry about the clip. I way overestimated my bubble.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  10. Offline

Tejun the shoe just lacks pitch on some of your nail holes and the clip is to small and weak, fullering is not good
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Offline

Tejun Member

On one side I literally was starting the holes with a Pritchel. I was saying to myself, why are those holes so small? Then I saw the Pritchel in my hand and felt like a rank turd.

Would you like to see the fullering deeper? More angled? Longer? More course or fine?
  12. Offline

At the end of the day your looking for good nail fit , if you look at your nail holes you can see your stamp pinching the fullering and look at the back of your shoe
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Looking better Dale. What I would have done with this one is to broaden , roll, and hold back the toe. Holding the shoe back will give you more heel to use so you can turn it around under the bulbs more. Kinda hard to do it cold though. I don't like to check the heels that much. You lose support. I come over the frog and don't worry about breaking rules or making it a bit harder to pick out the foot. No one says it's wrong if it's a bar shoe. I've found my clients happily trade better performance from the horse for a bit of extra work picking out a foot.
  14. Offline

Dale Parker New Member

Thanks Bill...ideally, I think he'd like a 1.5 (this is a number 2). Nearly every time a "newbie" posts, someone says, "Shoulda ground in some checks!" I'm trying to make my shoeing look more like the good pics I see, and still work on a horse that's not trotting around a sugar sand pen. These west texas rocks will get ahold of long heels.
  15. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

When considering new suggestions or following age old rules, ask "Why?". Especially if I'm the one making suggestions, but being able to know what effect anything you do to a foot or shoe dose to it is essential. "Because that's how they showed me how to do it " just don't get it.
    Look at the picture of your shod foot above. Can you see how those penciled heels may sink into the surface a bit more allowing the heels to come lower, that retards the breakover, letting that hind foot grab that nice pointy heel sticking out back there.
    If those heels on that foot, same size shoe and all, were brought back and around more, kept the whole whith of the stock (or even wider with a creaser) , it ought to hold the heels out of the dirt a little better.
    Will say one good thing about those heels though. If the horse gets into a fight, he'll have a major advantage.
    Call me some time if you want, I explain better on the phone than my six words per minute typing.
  16. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Am i the only one who hasn't a clue what this means?
  17. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I haven't a clue ether, and I'm the one who wrote it.
    What I may have meant was this: Say a size one shoe would fit the foot with a nice perimeter fit. If one were to broaden the toe of the shoe (and roll it), then hold it back from the toe of the hoof a bit, this this should leave the heels of the shoe behind the foot, where they can be turned on the anvil horn to curve under the bulbs of the foot to give more caudal support.
  18. Offline

gary evans old and slow

thanks for the clarification Bill, but what does 'hold back the toe' mean?
  19. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

The way I mean it is to hold the forward edge of the toe of the shoe behind the forward edge of the toe of the hoof. How far back? Depends.
  20. Offline

Bill a good way to explain is a few pics I find