Explain this this to me

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Mr. Perry, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

In the anterior most phase of retraction a greater percentage of the load is on the heels. In the posterior most phase of retraction a greater percentage of the load in on the toe. As such, during a complete retraction cycle, the load transfers from heel to toe. Regardless of how one chooses to opine the mechanics involved, the energy required to move the overlying mass is constant...until you add rider weight and/or change in velocity, then you have the same machine varying its application to accommodate the changes in energy requirement, but not its mechanical function.

You have to pick your poison. Do you want the muscular exertion to have the most efficiency in transfer to the ground in the anterior phase of retraction when the tarsus is most flexed, or do you want the exertion to have the most efficiency in transfer to the ground in the posterior phase of retraction when the tarsus is most extended...or do you want to try to balance the two.

We could all proffer an opinion as to what is best, but the truth of the matter is it just depends...every horse is different in their physiology and possible pathology. If you have a horse with osteo pathology in the anterior aspect of its hock, it could be of greater benefit to fit the toe and give it more traction...or you could add a heavier shoe which would theoretically do the same thing as adding traction to the toe. If the pathology is in the posterior aspect, it could be of greater benefit to back the toe up and give it less traction...or you could add a lighter shoe. Or what if the pathology is an obscure ligament in the hock? A flexor? So on and so forth.

Then factor in the deformability of the substrate they are working on to throw yet another variable into the equation. Do we shoe them for the 30 or so minutes they are working each day, or for the other 23.5 hours of the day?

What happens in the joint spaces, capsular ligaments, and collateral ligaments in the leg when a foot is set with a square or blunt toe shoe as the horse turns on firm ground? What about one with a fit toe? What happens to the same in soft ground? What if we forget about how the toe is fit and focus on surface area in the front of the foot...how does this effect the mechanics of the foot in different substrates?

You don't see football players wearing bowling shoes and you don't see bowlers wearing football cleats. Horses don't all do the same thing, they don't traverse constant, much less the same, substrates, and there is certainly no one way to set one up.
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

jaye; you may use your hind shoes in the Oktoberfest contest if you like; since they are new.
  3. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

[quote=". These shoes are 20 x 10mm, # 2, pulled back to 1/4 width of the stratum externum and the inner web of the ground surface is ground back to the creases and half width of the toe of the shoe. if one can make a minds eye view of concave/ more vertical depth in those shoes than flats.I don't like concave on hard ground, it get a bit "sticky" . So by just grinding the inner web / ground surface side i have given 10mm or traction in the toe and 20mm of traction in the qrts acros the business end of the foot and have nailed up a mechanically effiencient shoe:

View attachment 1893

View attachment 1894

View attachment 1895

View attachment 1897 [/quote]

You can save yourself a sanding belt and 10 minutes by buying a kerkhaert classic.
  4. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

IMAG0306.jpg ..... I see it more and more..I get the idea behind the thinking but with that said the ones I see of lately the foot gets extremely run under and horse starts camping under in the hind end..
  5. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

Yes Craig preaches fitting the toe and tier clip or no clip. And guys treasure that out of context or don't properly apply it. From clinics of craigs that I've been to he'll trim the bottom of the foot for what it is and what wall thickness it has. When he fits his shoe he will fury it where he feels the foot should be or at least where he can safely get it to. His shoes mirror the coffin bone, and are tucked behind the leading edge because truly fitting what you trim will cause flare. . .that is what he's meaning by fitting the toe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I've admired Craig's work on several occasions and learned a thing or two about trimming feet from him.

But what the heck is a tier clip? And fury a shoe? :confused:
  7. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Nice shoe Uncle Jaye. Was a 4 1/2" angle grinder involved? I never would have thought of putting a "Scoop Toe" shoe on the hind end. I've only used that shoe on the front end to keep BIG trotting saddleseat horses off their elbows. Simply Brilliant
  8. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

Supposed to be tier = toe clip and fury = fit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  9. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Thanks Pard! Do it on my jumpers a bit. Learned that little aspect from the "Old Man" in late '80's. he would do the hinds like that for added traction if the horses were going to France; ground there is a bit "loomy". Guess i should preference my attitude: I think Scruggs took my Little Red Fire Truck the other day just to irritate me!!!!!!!!:p

2012-10-08_08-20-50_208.jpg
  10. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

No, I didn't...but if I'd known it was there, it would be riding in my truck this week. :D
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

OK Josh, valide' points from a presentation of a Demo God. Do you or do you know if you and or craig has an X-ray machine stuck up your asses 3 days a week? if so please explain why a 'theroy" of farriery made from a person seeing his friend ride up a hill on a horse is a or maybe a predomienant shoeing protocol of applying shoes to the hinds of horses on varied substrates or terrain."??

IMO, and very biased, It has the same "Smell" as the NBS craze. Will it last as long? Will it suffer the critics? Don't know Pard but it is making me some "bank" lately!:cool:
  12. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Jaye, Josh, and Craig are all damn fine farriers. Shod horses with all three of them. None of them do the same thing on every horse. Any of them can shoe my horse any day.
    beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg
  13. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Where is my Fking Little Red Fire Truck Bitch?! I know it was YOU!!!!!!!!:mad:
  14. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Swear on my left testicle I don't have it...unless Chad hid it somewhere in my truck and didn't tell me....and that picture was taken yesterday, so you know I don't have it.
  15. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Hell every time I have questioned it ...it seems like they say just because or go over the whole traction ..purchase.. and usally thrown in for good measure someone will say its about owning your trade..and we never really get around to understanding.. scruggs had a good point about what about the other 23 hours of the day..I've watched a few horse at liberty and they kinda just poop and eat so I shoe for optimal performance within that hour they really doing stuff..and I shoe for some goose neck horses that have poor riders and damn if they don't need all the help we can give them..I heard at a clinic the square toe was brought on for fat drunk foxhunters who rode poor... I'm not sure about yall but I got about a handful of really great horses and great riders but my bread winners and money makers are ok riders and kids trying to be great..
  16. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Yeah , Maybe, the interawebs are tricky Scruggs! I will find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Offline

Moon beam New Member

The biggest mistake most farriers make when dressing & fitting a shoe is they don't read the growth pattens of the hoof & are fooled in to simply following what the hoof has become. Not what it should be. The horse will still producing the same quantity of live cell divisions. It simply taking place else where in the hoof. Hence distortions developing if you get the distribution wrong. Cutting heels to low when you have left to much excess sole & toe .With an absurd belief setting a shoe back will miraculously fix the imbalance in growth patten .Is a prime example of not addressing the problem of balancing out live cell division with in the continues growth of the hoof. If you put your X-ray mentality to one side & took the time to look at the angle of the growth ring. You would see that the sole needs to be lowered more in the toe region & the heels to be trimmed less. To bring your live cell division back in to balance to appropriate the correct distribution & growth patten in the hoof, in line with the genetic intended design for that particulate horses conformation .
  18. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

COOL! Cell division of the hoof. 'the hoof reacts to the presures placed upon them". Thus cellular growth is determined by conformation, job and the mechanic. Good effort! So if the horse is 100% sound we have optimal celluar growth? horse as we are ever changing organisms.....
  19. Offline

Moon beam New Member

Have a good look at the growth ring Mr line the bones up. Why is the growth ring out of whack every time with that crazy concept being followed. Its Because its Wrong in your thinking & the hoof is telling you that plain & simple.
  20. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

As Cappy Caplin said 25 years ago, for those who remember Cappy; "all we can do is line the bones up." Per your segment,: "Growth rings". When do horses have attenduated growth rings? During seasonal changes/ stress? change of enviroments/ so on and so forth? Does this make one think that rings in a hoof capsule relates to change?