Feb. contest

Discussion in 'Farrier Photo Contests' started by ray steele, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Since we are more than1/2 way thru the named month,I m asking Rick Shepherd(WesternHill Forge) to post some pics of some old tools that were given to him, if he will do that,then we can guess what/how they were used, and he can decide if others should post their pix of old/odd tools also.
    For the truth in advertising part orf this I already spoke to Rick and he hopes to have time to take some pix tomorrow. That ll make him the judge and jury. Thanks in advance and hurry up!

Regards

Ray
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

are we going backwards lads in this monthly thing
  3. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

David , you mentioned a written , how about , why do shoe horses for a "living "
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

am I missing something in the translation? I don t understand or the question about going backwards.

Thanks

Ray
  5. Offline

ray if you start a montly thing then you miss a month
    and throw some guess what this is for i think your going backwards
    in running the monthly thing
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

But.... John, my thinking is that it is still Feb. and we had not posted a contest for this month soooooooooooooooooooo, I m still not realizing your point and how it is going backwards. Could you take the time to make me understand?

Thanks for that

Ray
  7. Offline

Ray fil the of rest of feb in with what ever you like
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

with respect and thanks to Rick Shepherd , I thought that is what I was attempting/ doing?

ray
  9. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ok, since we only have 11 days left inn February, and Ray has asked me to do this, I will start. This will be a contest, or maybe a game, to identify some old farrier tools that were given to me by a client, "from Grand Pa's shoeing box". There will be six items, two of which may or may not be horseshoeing tools, I have no clue what they are. The four obvious ones ( rasps, hammer, knife and nippers ) will require you to tell us something about them - history, maker, date of manufacture, whatever you can tell us.

In order to make this a competition of sorts, this is what I have come up with:

Pictures of each item will be in a separate post. Use the post number to identify them. I may or may not include information not visible in the picture ( tool stamp or such ) if I think it's appropriate.

Each contestant may have 1 post. In that post I want only a number if the items you think you can identify or describe. If you think you know all 6, put "6". No descriptions that anyone else can use. If you change your mind, edit your post, don't post again. Posting will close at midnight Eastern US on Feb 23. The person who has entered the highest number with the earliest post date will at that point be in first place. In other words, if two people have enter a 6, indicating that they can identify and describe all 6 items, the person who entered it earliest will be in first.

Then the fun begins. If you are in first place, which I will decide based on the stated criteria, you will be asked for your answers. If you fail to do so within 24 hours, who ever is in second will be deemed in first place and can post his/her answers.

But here's the thing, since I do not really have any superior knowledge about these tools, anyone who wishes may challenge your answers within 24 hours of your posting them. If I accept your answers and there are no challenges, you win. All challenges must be backed up by some evidence, or they will not be considered - picture, literature, better info, Etc. Again, I guess I'll have to be the judge of the challenges validity. If you have been successfully "challenged", whoever was in #2 position will than be in first place, and can present their entries. Any of your descriptions that have not been challenged will be considered the correct information, whoever was in #2 will only have to describe the disputed item, or items, and then they can be challenged on that description, and so on. Extra information on the other tools is welcome however.

Edit to add: Be clever in your challenge. If you're the only one that knows what the tool is, don't give it all away to whoever is next in line.

Whoever is in 1st place at midnight on Feb 28 will be the winner, if it goes that far.

This is not that complicated a game, so if you have questions, read the rules again before asking. If I've overlooked something, I reserve the right to change the rules to compensate for it.

I'll post the pictures around 3 hours from now ( 6:00 PM my time ) and we can get started. And hopefully learn some history in the process.

Regards
  10. Offline

i will post a photo of Smitty
  11. Offline

Smitty,

I think he just called you a tool.:D

Regards
  12. Offline

Rick , i am all tool LOL
  13. Offline

Rick he uses a hammer and i a power hammer
  14. Offline

you have a bigger engine , i have all the torque
  15. Offline

We're having a blizzard up here, so I'm going to start posting pictures, hopefully before we lose our internet.

Regards
  16. Offline

17. Offline

Tool contest 007.JPG

Tool contest 006.JPG

"MADE IN SWEDEN" stamped in side 1 handle. SANDVIK stamped on side.
  18. Offline

19. Offline

20. Offline