February contest. tools

Discussion in 'Farrier Photo Contests' started by monty.styron, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

2. Offline

3. Offline

Stamp and pritchel made from s7
    handle made from 3/4x5/16
    And stamp handle got a bit of hoose
    tempered stamp by getting a shoe hot and leaving the
    stamp in the nail hole till cool
    made for a e 6
    to see how they held up made 3 sets of 3/4 fullers
    Seems fine
    20150216_152732.jpg
  4. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Verry nice smitty .never heard of tempering that way beut looks like it works
  5. Offline

Chris have you used yours yet? Can we see?
  6. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I ordered some steel from the site Rick posted. It should get here in time to get in an entry. Nice work shown so far.
  7. Offline

Got that tip from paul robinson monty
  8. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

tried them yes , worked fine , they are just a bog standard stamp and pritchel , they are at a clients now under going heat treatment , apparently my figures earlier are not correct , it is 3 hrs at 450c , air cool then 2hrs at 400c and air cool
  9. Offline

Sheesh Chris what are they made of?
  10. Offline

from what I understand from manufacturers this is how they do it on modern materials , most tools break down through lack of detailed maintainance , i have picked up several forging tools over the years , had a tinker with a file and emery , heat treated as specified by steel manufactures and bingo , new tools better than the original , by the way S7 for the stamp
  11. Offline

My lack of dilligence with cooling has allways ben the death of my tools . I have made punches and pritchals out of cold roll in a pinch and they held up suppriseingly wellas long as they were not over heated. Might have to try your method its verry simular to the way we temper knives.
  12. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

you just can't beat science when it comes to metallurgy or was it alchemy?
  13. Offline

your probobly rite brian just seems like a lot of trouble to go to when your going to un do it in a verry short time
  14. Offline

it sure beats shrapnel though
  15. Offline

I think you would find the straw 400° range more brittle then blue
  16. Offline

Brian a little first year alchemy for you;)Depending on the tipe of steel used. Straw 400-500° is going to get you 50-62r genraly used in cutting edges such as knifes. Blue 500-600° gets you between 45-59r a hardness genraly used in punches and chisels. A long heat has its advantiges , it gives the molecules time to stabilize how ever a quality struck tool is only hardend at the cutting edge and genraly anealed at the struck end to avoid the shrapnel your talking about. As you can imagen acheaving two different hardnesses in the same stock using the method Chris is discribing would be difficult.
  17. Offline

I think my creasers, stamps and pritchels (s7) start off a little soft after the double draw temper but their exposure to hot steel and subsequent air cooling make for tougher tools after a short period of time. Provided I don't get stupid and smash them first.

Having a BB sized piece of a head stamp surgically removed from my arm has made me pay closer attention to metallurgy.
  18. Offline

i have always tempered as Brian and Mikel have described and noticed after a lot of use muhrooming and splitting , fractures and luckily for me shattering that missed , stamps needed doing at the end of a day and pritchels constantly , materials are constantly upgrading and metalurgy information is getting better , JA gave a fantastic clinic on these new "revelations " and luckily I have a client who knows these modern processes , she has nursed my tools through them , believe me there is one heck of a difference in how they can be used , when was the last time you fullered at black heat ?
  19. Offline

Chris, how big was the hammer you used to fuller at a black heat?
  20. Offline

why ?
    watch comp videos a lot nowadays start at red and carry on at black . listen to Grant talk about the process , things have moved on ,